I know we've been through this before, but...

My '70 911E has a '74 2.7L engine with Webers (911, not 911S). It runs great, but the truth is, it needs a rebuild. The compression and leakdown numbers are scary, and the oil leaks are not the easy kind to fix.

So... do I rebuild it myself with performance upgrades (RS spec, etc.) and live with the weak case, or do I buy a used, but good condition 3.2L engine that needs no rebuild? I can get a sound 3.2L with 80K on it for $7500 with a swap. I figure if I'm going to bypass the 2.7, I might as well go straight to the more powerful 3.2. I am mechanically inclined, and would enjoy rebuilding the 2.7L engine, but with 2 small kids it will take time. (Can I teach my 2-year-old daughter the difference between a 12 and 13 mm socket?) Rebuilding the 2.7 will probably cost less than the 3.2 if I do the rebuild myself, but how much less? To save money, I'd keep the Webers. Finally, will the heavier 3.2L even be noticeable in terms of handling?

My car has been modified enough where originality is no longer an issue. It's essentially an Rgruppe car. I've studied Bruce and Wayne's books, but the only P-car I've driven is my '70, so it's hard to imagine differences in performance. I'm asking for opinions here based on personal experience. Thanks.