Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original RS Lightweight seats ?

Original RS Lightweight seats ?

This is a question for original '73 RS experts (Robert Gross, GeorgeK, Rick Cabell et al):

What are the differences between original & replica RS Lightweight seats ?

Is there a way of telling whether a seat is an original or excellent replica (such as those available from RSL classic in Germany) ?

Any identifying features/markings on the originals ?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
    '69 911E---------->R

I have a pair of originals as well as the replicas. I felt the replicas would be safer so my originals are on the shelf. The fiberglass on the originals is not as strong. The main differences aside from patina that jump out at you when you look at the replicas are: The grommets for the headrest posts are wrong. The holes are too big. The paint finish on the seat shells is also too flat and rough. The black paint should be a smooth semi black paint and lastly the replicas are supplied with new aftermarket sliders. All of these inacurate details could easily be changed with a little bit of work. The paint and the grommets really are easy enough that the manufacturer should correct those. For the money though you can't go wrong. So do I sell the originals?

Best,

Don

I don't know if Don was talking about Ramon's replica seats(RSL in Germany), or ones he bought here. Ramon went to the OE manufacture of every original RS lightweight seat part and had them fire up old production of the original part. He claimed they were 99% as the original right down to the last detail. RS replica seats are period correct, but for maximum comfort and saftey, there are several other options. Ramon turned this into a personal project after spending a lot of time trying to find some good used original seats. I see him about twice a year.

I bought these from a fellow PCA member that did not need them. I am pretty sure the replicas that I am talking about are the German ones. You would have to see them side by side or know the originals to pick out the differences. I am certain on the details posted above. I have a few plastic Recaros with the original paint ect..

Best,

Don

I bought a pair of RS Lightweight seats which, according to the seller, came out of a 3.0RS & have been in (dry) storage for many years.

I don't know whether these seats are originals which have been in storage since they were relatively new, or whether they are very accurate replicas (as made by Roman Marquardt of RSL in Germany) but they're in excellent condition (apart from one which has a couple of very small holes in the fabric upholstery where a mouse has chewed it!).

However, they came without runners/sliders - did the original RS Lightweight seats us runners which were unique to them or did they utilise some 'off the shelf' versions ?

Andy
    '69 911E------>R

Greetings,

All of the plastic Recaro seats and sport seats used at lease two simillar versions of sliding rails and at lease three versions of tilting mounting frames. The seat mounted rails bolt to the frames which in turn mount to the factory provisions in the car. It is possible to use later Recaro or other German aftermarket sliders but you really need the frames to properly mount them into the car.

Best,

Don

Don, are these the frames that you are referring to which bolts the seats/sliders(rails) to the floor ?

Andy
    '69 911E------->R
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The frames are actually a square shaped framework not just a single rail. Not sure what you have there. Looks like an aftermarket piece as it is not what I have seen Porsche use.

Best,

Don

Are you sure about that? I've seen several RS Lightweights that had the same bracket that Andy's picture shows. They go across from tunnel to rocker and then the adjustable sliders install on them.

Thanks Dave - that's what I thought.

Do you happen to know what adjustable sliders the RS LWT seats use ? The ones from the std early 911 seats are too long & the bolt holes don't line up with those on the base of the seats.

Andy
    '69 911E-------->R