Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas Mileage?

I'm looking at 14litres per 100km on the highway at legal speeds over here, say 70mph+ tolerances.......

If I'm really really careful then its gets down to 12/11 litres....
    This is on a 72E car, properly set-up for the road.

Drive it hard and I see 20 litres/100KM.
    Even a hard highway drive pushing my luck....you can get up to 18 or so litres/100km.

Hey still beats the Audi at 21mpg regardless and the computer will indicate 1......admittedly when I'm using all 230 ponies off the line.....that's scary.

I'm new to posting on this BB but not to Porsches or 911s. Got my first Porsche in 1970; a 356A coupe and have owned and wrenched on many a 911 since. In my 73S with higher compression I consistantly get around 22-25mpg at or above legal speeds on secondary roads. I can't offer much help on in town as I live in a very rural area. My old 69 MFI S used to do even better and my 2.4 E gets close to 30mpg in the same conditions. The worst I can ever remember seeing on any S I've owned is high teens. Either you are really flogging the car or something is wrong with the FI set up. Over the years I also have found that the Factory numbers for everything are conservative.
    Good Luck

Originally posted by kurtzimmerman
    From some of the inputs provided, it almost looks like the 911's with larger than 2 liter engines (e.g.2.7) get better gas milage than the 2 liter ones ?
    I got 22 mpg with my stock '67S 2-liter (carbed) driving 75 on the freeway home from GAF.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

admin_old
    "My '69 w/2.7, Webers and E cams gets about 20 mpg on the road, but that's with the typical Porsche speedo that reads a little optimistic.'

I forgot to add that on the open road (state highways), I usually exceed, by some margin, the speed limit (whatever that is). If I kept it below 65, I'm sure my mileage would be a lot better than 20. Can I get busted for this confession?

Sherwood

(your actual mileage may vary)
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Mileage

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'm in the same range as most, 16 mpg.
    Someone mentioned tire pressure. I'm running Yokahama 205 60 VR 15s. My mechanic suggests 24 psi on the front and 27 psi on the rear tires. Seems a little mushy to me. I guess this isn't helping my mileage. Any thoughts?

A.T.