Thread: '73S Resto: Suspension Upgrades?

'73S Resto: Suspension Upgrades?

Guys,

Sorry for being a bit AWOL. Sept/Oct is a bit crazy for me. Trying to close Venture funding for my company, my wife just had our 3rd baby, my other two kids are feeling a bit left out which requires extra dad time, and my car project has been through a slow month of re-wiring MOST EVERYTHING.

Anyway, I haven't even seen my shop guy until yesterday. Looks like it may make sense to upgrade some suspension components. I'm doing the TurboTieRod kit, new shocks, etc.. but am looking at replacing front and rear torsion bars. I'm not planning on tracking this car, other than maybe an occasional time trial. Its a street car, local driving, spirited back roads and 4-5 AX's a year.

Should I replace the old factory parts with factory settings, or stiffen things up just a bit? Can anyone provide me the stiffness measurments of stock? Also, anyone's experience with SwayAway vs Weltmeister? Also, can someone recommend a good parts place other than Pelican?

Thanks

PS - Jared and Jack - do you both still want those little hood trinkets? I'm embarrassed its been like 2 months. Sorry. Please let me know if you still want them.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

I can't tell you too much about suspension other than your shocks should be fresh. If that doesn't get the job done for you, then maybe go up on your torsion bar rates. Be prepared to upgrade your shocks to ones that are rated to handle the stiffer bars. It's all in the matching of components.

As far as suppliers, I have bought from Zim's and been pleased. I have bought from Stoddards and been pleased. I have talked to GPR and I think they would be decent as well. Each of them are a little different and may be better in one area than the other. Paragon seems to have the suspension stuff at the best deal. With price matching or the discount coupon, Performance has a good deal too. They have a lot of stuff; many items that Pelican sells come from Performance. Pelican is agressive and aims to please. But, as they say, they are not the only game in town.

When it comes to obscure, old or hard to find parts, I think Stoddards has an edge as they are a dealer. They apparently have a huge inventory and can ship right away. I'm going to try them on internal MFI parts. If they have those, then I'll know they are the source when it gets to the tough stuff. My local dealer would have had to special order CV gaskets required for the early 901 drive shafts. That did it for me as far as being able to drive over and pick up a few parts at the counter.

Chris,

I redid my rear suspension last winter. New spring plate bushings made a tremendous difference in my car as the old ones were extremely worn. I also "upgraded" my rear torsion bars to the SC ones which is only a 1mm difference, but the price was right (nearly free) and a slight stiffness (20%) upgrade felt good in my targa. You can get used SC adjustable spring plates for about $100. For info on spring rates go to Thom Fitzpatrick's site. and click on the web based apps or click here for a write up on spring rates and other good stuff to determine ride height settings.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Re: '73S Resto: Suspension Upgrades?

Originally posted by yopurp
    Should I replace the old factory parts with factory settings, or stiffen things up just a bit? Can anyone provide me the stiffness measurments of stock?
    For your stated purposes, I would go with the early Turbo factory setup, which was 21mm F and 26mm R torsion bars and 18mm ARBs, F & R. This is a very sporting but comfortable setup for a street car. Revalve your shocks to match, if they are Bilsteins. Stock was 19mmF and 24mmR T-bars, with ARBs at 15-17mm. Going with the adjustable spring plates is a good idea for ease of ride height adjustment.
    Also, anyone's experience with SwayAway vs Weltmeister? Also, can someone recommend a good parts place other than Pelican?
    SwayAway IS Weltmeister. I can recommend GPR for parts. Good prices, good service.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

I'm not a fan of the Weltmeister bushings. They have the squeaking problem and the replacement bushings for the rear control arms just don't work unless you have the wherewithall to modify them by drilling them out to accept the factory washers. The coolest stuff I've seen is made by Chuck Moreland who frequents the Pelican board. His company is Elephant Racing. http://www.elephantracing.com/

His Bronze bushings are a work of art. He makes them for the front and rear. Even the swingplate which is way cool. It's pricey but the good stuff always is.

Here's another suspension setup recommended by Randy Wells.

Bilstein HD Front / Sport Rear
    19/26 Hollow Torsion
    Charlie or TRG Sway Bars 22/22 with reinforced mounts
    SC spring plates with Neatrix bushings
    Rubber bushings elsewhere
    SC (Aluminum) trailing arms
    Reinforced suspension pick up points
    Front strut bar without monoballs
    Quaife LSD

This would not be too stiff or noisy for the street but capable of keeping up with the engine (as long as you roll on the throttle!).
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar

Re: '73S Resto: Suspension Upgrades?

Originally posted by yopurp

PS - Jared and Jack - do you both still want those little hood trinkets? I'm embarrassed its been like 2 months. Sorry. Please let me know if you still want them.
    YES PLEEZE!!!! Before I do something CRAZY... like order the Tweeks Repro!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391