Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 69 911T Project Car

69 911T Project Car

A couple members projects are motivating me to finally get this one started.

This car is a unmolested car except it is in boxes and on a body dolly and has been for years. It has some minor body work to do, but no rust beyond surface rust. Irish Green original paint.

Given this example would be the entry level car and the T with the lowest power output I am inclined to do something to make it more entertaining to drive. 110 hp does not excite me very much.

So what would you do with it ?

Engine:

Build the 2.0 …to what ? 2.450, 2.5 …. Got a killer recipe without spending more than the car is worth.

3.0 swap and carb it, for a period correct look ?. 3.2 , 3.6 ?. Should I even car about period correct looks ? Thinking I don't want to do something that no one would entertain come resale time. I do not intend to flip the car, just have some fun with it for a few years. Carve a few canyons, do a track day, go to a show.

Suspension:

Has the Boge Hyd stuff and 14 Fuchs.

What should I do here?, does someone rebuild the Boges?, swap to a normal set up ?

It's on a body dolly, so if cutting to welding is required, now is the time.

Body:

Not into the RSR full race theme for this one.

Leave it alone ?

But do like the idea of a little more tire out back. What do you think of RS rear flares and a 72 front spoiler and just leave the rest alone? Saw one at Werks like this and it looked more purposeful, yet not overstated.

Or RS clone it ?

Looking Forward to the opinions of those that have been there done that or have a plan they too have been waiting to execute.
    Last edited by CobraR1339; 09-04-2016 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo

Wow 63 views and not one suggestion at all……starting to think I should just sell it.

You say it's unmolested, so why molest it. Flaring, cloning, etc is exactly that.

I would restore it to an original car, sans hydro E struts, but with a very interesting lump in the rear. 7Rs out back. A sleeper of sorts.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Well, you threw a lot of stuff out there.

Last to first: leave the body stock. If you want more tire on the rear, a 6" Fuchs widened to 7" by adding 1" on the inner barrel is a good solution. 15 X 7" OE 911 Fuchs fit as well.

Buy later struts - SC to Carrera 3.2. It's a bolt-on solution. Aluminum or iron calipers.

Park the original engine on a shelf. Put in a 200HP alternative. They are in abundance. PM me if you want to see a couple local examples you can buy.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Well, you threw a lot of stuff out there.

Last to first: leave the body stock. If you want more tire on the rear, a 6" Fuchs widened to 7" by adding 1" on the inner barrel is a good solution. 15 X 7" OE 911 Fuchs fit as well.

Buy later struts - SC to Carrera 3.2. It's a bolt-on solution. Aluminum or iron calipers.

Park the original engine on a shelf. Put in a 200HP alternative. They are in abundance. PM me if you want to see a couple local examples you can buy.
    Great Advice-Goodluck!

Well, as I'm pretty far along restoring a '69 Irish Green 911T, I can add my perspective. Mine is numbers matching, and I am restoring it to absolutely original (with a lot of NOS parts), EXCEPT: 1) repainted tangerine because I don't like Irish green; 3) black headliner and black/black sun visors because that is what I prefer; 3) S-spec engine rebuild; 4) factory prototype wood steering wheel because that is what I like; 5&6) Carrera chain tensioners and turbo tie rods because it would be stupid to do otherwise. That's it.
    Rich
    Last edited by raspritz; 09-14-2016 at 06:22 AM.

I've heard from some of the respected experts here that for an early car it's not worth using the pressure fed tensioners. They can still fail and you have to modify the chain covers and add more oil lines (more points of failure). Now the thing seems to be doing the wider idler arms and then adding collars to the latest version of the sealed tensioners.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

That is my preference as well: 930 tensioner S with collars preserves original appearance.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Less is More

Quote Originally Posted by CobraR1339 View Post
    . . . So what would you do with it ? . . .
    Keep it simple

Keep it cheap

Fix/fit the panels --- try to maybe leave out the filler on the rocker seams . . . then just patch/primer enough to protect the metal. (Rattle-can is acceptable)

Strip the interior out, paint everything semi-matte black. Ignore the dash. (Kracks = karackter) Then fit some seats, door cards, the headliner + instruments --- maybe stick in a roll bar if you have the dosh. Vinyl cover + rubber mat the rest. Don't look in the trunk --- except to check the spare

Outside, just fit the window seals + trim. And a set o' plates

If it's decent underneath, then leave it alone; if not, then strip + schutz to taste. And FYI --- Wurth comes in spray cans . . . . jus' sayin' . . .

Regular ol' 'S' suspension, regular brakes. Spend a few bucks for a full-on 4-wheel alignment

Get a set o' 15 in Fuchs mounted/balanced on some period size tires --- 185/70s . . . then? . . .

. . . drive the car

110 PS doesn't sound like much --- 'till you put in a 1900 lb car. (And how fast do you really drive, anyway?)

Short Version = do what it takes to get your car on the road + running, THEN . . . .

. . . decide what you really-REALLY wanna/need to do to/with it

If you still think that you need a paint job, then --- knock your self out

IMO --- lotsa cars get built here --- + lotsa money gets spent . . .

. . . just to have something to take pictures of

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

i also have a 69T project.

Id Restore back to original.
    But do a set of nice R seats, deep 6 wheels and a good exhaust.
    If building the motor, give it a little boost in power. Mild hot rod.