Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fuchs wheel fitments

If you really want to fit 7" rims on the rear, get some early deep dish 6s and get them banded on the inside and make your own 7R rims. Someone has had that done recently in the UK, the banding was done in Germany I think.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

6" Rims

Same situation when I was in the process of acquiring my '73 S coupe. It was fitted with 7" rims, and the 185x70 XWX's rubbed with the slightest suspension movement. I accepted the seller's offer to swap the 7's for 6" wheels. I too didn't want to roll the fender lips.

There is a discussion about this on Pelican

Here is the 7R from a deep dish 6"

Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Re: fuchs

Originally posted by joelrkaplan
    those are the wheels.......you would NOT go to 7's again?...was is that much of a clearance issue...looks great!
    Well, I'm keeping them, because I do like the look...I guess it was sort of "period correct" when I did it. But it IS a tight fit, and to accomplish these wheels you WILL need to roll the lips, plus beef the suspension considerably. I'm running 195/65 tires, and they are a close fit.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Someone (Jeff Gamroth--a mechanic on the winning Porsche Le Mans team this year) told me that you can also modify the 15x7s to fit by "banding" an extra inch or two on the inside. This pulls the tires back from the outside edge and gives you clearance with even wider tires. I may try this if I don't find some 6s in good shape soon.

On my 67S I have 6inch rims, stock fender lips and can (barely though) fit 205s in the front and 215s in the rear BFG comp TAs. These are 6 inch rims with a 1969 stamp date. I do have tight susp though, although have no fender rubbing. The fronts will hit the inside though if turned too tight. I just dont turn tight!
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown