Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.2 'S' cams

2.2 'S' cams

Can you buy new Factory cams for these engines? If so where and if not what are my alternatives? Thanks.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I don't know if you can order new from Porsche but I don't see why they wouldn't carry them. As for an alternative I know you can get Elgin Cams to regrind yours for about $300.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Bobby,

I should give you a little background on the '71 Targa. This car has been fighting us on a number of issues. We have solved most of them, but several remain and they may or may not be connected. The car doesn't idle properly. It seems to have a random idle point. Sometimes it will idle at 1500 other times it will almost stall. Before this the idle would hunt continuously up and down. My mechanic discovered a defective distributor, so I sourced a rebuilt one and that helped but it is still not right. The fuel pump has been rebuilt (Pacific FI) as have the TBs, stacks and linkage (Eurometrix).

The other issuse is the performance of the engine. It performs kinda like an E model. There is good pull from 3000 to 4000 RPM. Then there is a flat spot from 4000 to 5000. From 5000 to 6500 there is steady pull but nothing like a 2.2S should feel like or sound like. The RPMs climb too slowly. Buried in one of the old reciepts is evidence the stock cams were sent to Web Cams and reground to one of their "hot street and club racing" specs. It is anything but those things. I don't find anything about the pistons being changed.

The part number is 05-261. Here is link to their spec. page.

Porsche Webcam specs.

I don't know enough about cams to know how the ones in my car vary from stock. Not really sure what to do about this. Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

somebody please correct me if I'm wrong...but I thought the grind on all S cams were the same??? Beginning in '69 the MFI drive belt cog was added, but otherwise, lift & duration, the lobes if you will, were the same? I guess I'm asking here..as opposed to giving an answer. The flat spot question leads me to ask another about the exhaust system being used...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Paul,

According to the chart of camshafts in Wayne's engine book that is correct. The chart shows the same specs. for the 2.2S, 2.4S, and 2.7RS cams.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I think Paul is on to something.

What exhaust do you have? I had some wierd Bursch exhaust on my car that createda huge flat spot on my carbed '73S. Replacing that exhaust with a factory one got rid of the flat spot.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Two things come to mind. The first, and obvious, are the Webcam specs the same as the universal S specs? Someone should have reverse engineered the S cams to know the factory specs. Second, put the distributor on a distributor dyno and get the curve checked out, or put the car on a dyno and plot the curve with the dyno computer. It might still be in the dizzy.

Neil,

The car came with an unknown sport muffler, so I removed that and put on an OE style Ansa/Dansk muffler.

Zeke,

The cams in the car are not the stock grind that I'm sure of. I don't know yet what effect they are having on the performance of the engine. I was actually thinking of finding someone with a known functioning 2.2 S distributor on loan to put in the car. No easy task. I have never heard of a distributor dyno, but I can start calling around to the shops in the Chicago area to ask about that along with an engine dyno. Good idea, but I'm in the land of grain elevators so it is hard to find knowledgeble mechanics for our cars. Thanks guys.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

.02 cents

Is you car a MFI car? If so, your headers/heater boxes and exhaust will cause flat spots and irregularities in the power band. These systems LOVE backpressure for some reason, and an exhaust system that is too free flowing will hurt performance rather than help.

While carburetted motors are less susceptable to these things, they are not immune. However, these problems can be solved via jetting and air intake correction.

As to the reason why it doesn't rev quickly, you might think about reducing reciprocating mass - i.e. lighter flywheel and sport clutch.

I'm sure I'm merely repeating other people's input, but since I haven't been following this car closely, I humbly offer what little info I have.

Best of luck.

PS: Yes, you can still get factory "S" cams, but you can get aftermarket Web Cams of the exact same grind for a good deal less, if I remember correctly. So, Zeke, the Web Cams are identical.

PPS: Zeke, the 2.2S used an 09 distributor, right?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Of course, you don't know for certain that that receipt is for the cams installed in your engine -- it could have been stuck in that file by mistake....

I don't know that the MFI systems like "backpressure" per se. It may merely be that they are sensitive to the proper timing of pressure pulses and rarefactaction pulses in the system. But the bottom line is the same: the stock '73 etc. system is the way to go.