Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: locating white rivets and garage door safety

locating white rivets and garage door safety

I am trying to attend to some details on my 69E coupe and have been unable to locate the white plastic rivets that attach the outside threshold(sill) plate to the car. Can someone point me to a source?

Also just a note regarding a somewhat related topic.
    If you don't have safety wires on your garage door springs(ones with two outside springs), consider getting a wire put in the spring to contain the spring should it break unexpectedly. It will save your car from being mangled by the flying spring, not to mention people or pets in the vicinity. I had one break, but luckily there was nothing in harm's way.
    Scott

Scott:

NLA, OOP, DISC., and the list goes on
    Seriously, I haven't seen any for years but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It's still one of the single best ways to tell if a car has been apart, though, because rivets usually show up where the plastic ones once occupied the holes.
    I'll do some "scrounging" this weekend and let you know what I find.
    If I were a bettin' man I'd say that Wurth would be the best place to start looking.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Re: locating white rivets and garage door safety

Originally posted by teescott
    I am trying to attend to some details on my 69E coupe and have been unable to locate the white plastic rivets that attach the outside threshold(sill) plate to the car. Can someone point me to a source?

Also just a note regarding a somewhat related topic.
    If you don't have safety wires on your garage door springs(ones with two outside springs), consider getting a wire put in the spring to contain the spring should it break unexpectedly. It will save your car from being mangled by the flying spring, not to mention people or pets in the vicinity. I had one break, but luckily there was nothing in harm's way.
    Scott
    Have you tried McMaster Carr ? They have an incredible catalog.

Do a search for Rivets.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Anchor supplies these - its a perfect match.

I didn't see any white ones............

Tom

http://www.itwautomotive.com/company/anft/
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

just got some

from Dave Buhain, MS Road & Race:

323-660-7674.

perfect!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Scott, THanks very much for the safety tip! Any chance you could post a pic on how you ran the safety wire to prevent flying spring pieces, while still allowing the springs to do their thing?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I'm going to a commercial operator on my main garage that uses a motor mounted to the side door. Not sure if the spring goes away but my main reason is to get ceiling height. I can pick up a total of 9'6" minimum. I plan on stacking cars on one side utilizing a Rotary Lift.
    If I had it my way I'd be buying commercial roll up doors (all self contained) but the better half would not be pleased.
    As is at least I get rid of the center mounted hanging operator and track.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

rivet part #

Scott,
    The factory part # is 999.591.526.40 (plastic rivet Qty. 20)
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Originally posted by pwd72s
    Scott, THanks very much for the safety tip! Any chance you could post a pic on how you ran the safety wire to prevent flying spring pieces, while still allowing the springs to do their thing?
    It's in all springs sold today. Required by law. It's actually two solid wires that slide past each other always connected no matter if the spring is relaxed or stretched. When mine broke, I heard it all the way in the house from a detached garage. Sure glad I wasn't in there when it happened. That would have scared the crap out of me.