Thread: Initial oil filling-fresh engine ('67)

Initial oil filling-fresh engine ('67)

I find the closer I get to starting this thing, the more paranoid I am getting…..

I have added 9 qts of oil into the tank, and have cranked w/out plugs to verify oil pressure.
    I understand the proper oil level check method, but as the car hasn't run yet, I have to do something else.
    So, with 9 qts, the oil level is just up to the lowest mark on dipstick. I have all new oil cooler, lines, filter, etc. to fill, but it seems like a lot of oil is not in the tank.
    Is this at all normal??
    Thanks
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

I believe it is 11-12 quarts for an empty cooler and lines. But those lines only open when the car is at temperature so 9 quarts should be enough until you get it up to temp, then you top it off.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Thanks, Max, I think you're right-9 is enough for first start.

My question is, is it possible the oil isn not returning to the tank? And that all of the oil is in the sump?
    I guess I can remove the return line at the tank and crank it, and see if oil pumps out of the line.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

You are paranoid Brian Turn the key and fire that turd up. I started with 9 quarts when I fired mine. I ended up adding 3/4 of a quart after that.

It's all in the engine, and will stay there until your thermostat opens.

All that oil went somewhere, and unless you have the Valdez on the garage floor, you'll be fine. As long as you've got pressure.

Go for it!

I went through the same hesitation a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROLgvEiEgI
    Last edited by classic; 07-08-2014 at 11:19 PM.
    Tony

Thanks guys…..no leak, so yes, all the oil is in there….but where??

I would think that with 9 qts total, something would register on the dipstick by now………...
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

It leaks through the oil pump (the gears are not a 100% perfect seal) into the engine case. Like all liquids it seeks the lowest level (in the absence of accelerations). It will do this whenever you shut the car off, though the amount that drains will vary depending on how long it sits.

The car will smoke a bit when you start it.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

It's a new system, so nothing has gone through your cooler yet to get returned to the tank.

I put the same amount into my car for initial start up, and saw the same thing (quantity gauge went to zero, nothing on the dip stick).

Started the car up, and when I was doing the initial tuning checked the dip stick, when she was warm, and it was dead in the middle of the stick.
    Tony

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz light it up already Brian! And show us a video!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz light it up already Brian! And show us a video!
    Coming soon!!!!!
    Brian
    S Reg #1032