Thread: Tires?

Tires?

Next spring I'll be purchasing a new set of rubber. My question is what would be the best set to buy. Staying as stock as possible? I have a 72S fuchs stock size. My car is only used for weekend driving in the country and sometimes I go to local shows. I want a good performance tire but I want to keep with the originallity. Where should I get them? Should I purchase them via internet or go to my local tire guy? Any tips would greatly be appreciated.

charlie

Charlie, 195/65 is a very close "modern" size to match the original 185/70 MIchelin XWX in width & dia. Click on the technical features offered here...you'll find some tire size comparison charts. Which brand? That's another question...and I don't have an answer there. I would suggest you go for a minimum of a V speed rating.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    High performance 165/65R15 tires are getting a little rare now that everything seems to be moving towards 495/10R32 or whatever.

But, Pirelli makes a 195/65ZR15 tire with an N [Porsche] code. It's probably worth a look. I think the Tire Rack offers them.

Tires

Thanks for the input. This site and registry is probably the most important tool in the tool box.

Thanks again.

205/60ZR15

Quite a few of us here have 205/60's...they work great on a 15x6.

Per
    http://www.classicmotorsports.net/911pg2.html

Tires?

What brand do people recommend?

Charlie,

I asked the same question a couple of months ago. Here is the threat: http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/foru...&threadid=2066

I went with 195 Michelin Pilot XGT H4 and they are quite nice.

Related question: Any opinions on the correct air pressure? Any of you deviate from factory specs and why so? I was told to go over specs for a more precise handling.
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

195-205? 60-65?

I believe my 72S is lowered in the front. Not quite sure of the fit in front for the 205s'. Do I do 195 front and 205 back? I'd like to do the 205-60's all the way around.

No no, you can put the 205s in the front and back. I just did this and the performance is very good. Kinda messed up the speedo, though. I know I'm not doing 75 when everyone is still going by (or is that 'bye'?).

Anyway, you can still rotate your tires, if that's necessary, and clearance in the front will be no problem, IMO.