Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H4 Pix and Chrome

H4 Pix and Chrome

I am having H4's put on my car. Mike told me that I have the choice of original chrome rings, Euro rings, "no rings". I kind of like the original look of the large chrome rings.

Do you guys have pictures of my options, and suggestions? The car also came with chrome wheel well accents. But it seems that no one is using them. Were they an unusual option, or do you guys just like the "pure" look of the uncluttered chrome-free car?

Now less than 4 months away. Daughter's wedding this last weekend, now I can concentrate on THE car (yeah right!!!)

He is actually starting on the car in a few weeks. Promised me pictures of the progress - When I get them, you will see them. (sigh)

Thanks

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Chrome. The early cars look better with an accent around the headlight. I'm guessing the "Euro" look means you get your rings painted to match the body color. This was ok for later cars but on, let's say, anything built before 1978 the chrome looks appropriate.
    Best of all you don't have to take the things apart to get the rings painted and then put them back together. Not difficult but why bother?
    H-4's in chrome; plug and play.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

On a silver car, definitely chrome. Your real choice is the big US surrounds or the Euro one.

Most guys choose the Euro one, since it's how the car was originaly designed, and -- to most eyes -- looks a lot better.

Here are some links to give some perspective:

One
    Two
    Three
    Four
    Five
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tom, Jack,

Thanks for the info and the pictures. I also spoke to Eric Linden today, and got the scoop. I could do H4 bulbs inside the Large US chrome rings, or do H4 assemblies and lenses with the smaller chrome rings that go with the Euro setup.

The Euro setup sure looks lots cleaner. And now I understand the alternatives.

Thanks for furthering my education.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    I agree, go with the H4 units. Chrome rings are a must!

I put H4s in mine, and have replaced most of the other US regulated equipment. All of which detracts from the original design intent IMO. H4s look as cool today as they did 30 some years ago - just like the car they're on.

Now... question is, H4s or H1s?????
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Originally posted by JCR
    Now... question is, H4s or H1s?????
    Jared:

I have been told that H1's are really cool, but (big but) they are really expensive. Now if cost was no object, then . . . . but since I am not awash in cash, I must succumb to the H4s as an upgrade - not a bad second choice.

Now, I also heard that there is a choice of bulbs, 55/45 and 65/35. (I assume that this is Bright wattage and Dim wattage)Can anyone chime in on which ones are the bulbs of choice, or am I wrong in there really being no choice here?

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Yeah Larry, I hear ya on the cost!

The H4s are plenty bright, MUCH better than the sealed beams that were on my car.

I have the lower wattage bulb, it works fine. The passenger side headlight is slightly dimmer and lights up noticeably slower than the other side. I think it's the older headlamp relays since I didn't replace them with the lights (can anyone confirm this?).

Probably a good idea to replace the relays when installing H4s - especialy for a higher wattage bulb.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Adding relays to the circuit, whether with the stock brightness bulbs or the higher wattage ones, is a very smart upgrade. Don't play games with electrical fires.

Pelican Parts has a tech article on adding the relays. It's also in Wayne's '101 Projects' book.

Originally posted by JackOlsen
    On a silver car, definitely chrome. Your real choice is the big US surrounds or the Euro one.

Most guys choose the Euro one, since it's how the car was originaly designed, and -- to most eyes -- looks a lot better.
    Jack and others: I guess that this is the rub. Do you go with the Euro approach or the approach as delivered in the US?

EDIT: I have decided to post this as a new thread with a poll.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Here's a great link for lighting info...it explains why relays are a must if you're going with higher wattage bulbs...and probably should be done even if you stick with stock wattage. It seems that Porsche wasn't the best when it comes to headlight wiring...
    http://lighting.mbz.org/
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)