Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Key Doesn't Work No More!!! *panic*

My Key Doesn't Work No More!!! *panic*

Guys,

My key to Katie, my 67S doesn't work anymore. The doors work fine, so I don't think it's a sick joke on the part of my colleagues. But I can only stick the key into the ignition halfway and it hits a deadend.

What's up? I drove her to a less familiar part of town today for a meeting and when I was done, I found out the key won't go all the way in. I had to ring a friend for a ride. So Katie's parked there tonight. Sheesh... I'm worried about her.

What should I do? Call for a tow to the dealer? Or can I buy a new switch? Is it the same as the later cars? Part number? Can I use back the old key or will the tumbler be changed too? I prefer a single key like now.

And is there anyway I can hotwire to get home? Guys, I'm not a thief here, Katie is my 911!

Thanks for any advice.

Sprint.

Re: My Key Doesn't Work No More!!! *panic*

Err... Just to add, Katie has a non-locking steering column. Thanks!

Sprint.

Probably a silly question, but did you try squirting a little WD40 into the assembly? That, or perhaps some light oil on the key, then insert? Might just be a lack of lubricant?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

admin_old
    My suggestion is not to use any lube that attracts dirt. Try silicone spray.

Sherwood

Originally posted by admin
    My suggestion is not to use any lube that attracts dirt. Try silicone spray.

Sherwood
    Exactly. And dry graphite from the hardware store is a good maintenance item.

But, I suspect one of his pins has slid out of it's hole and it's time for a new lock.

Before you panic too much, I thiught my lock was gone but after a chat withmy locksmith, I used some "TRIFLOW Lube" and my key works almost as new.

I asked him about graphite and WD40 and he told me that they will help in the short term but tend to gum up locks.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Originally posted by Zeke
    Exactly. And dry graphite from the hardware store is a good maintenance item.

But, I suspect one of his pins has slid out of it's hole and it's time for a new lock.
    Hi Zeke, I'll be sure to put in dry graphite into my new lock!

Also, what would I do about keys? Does getting a new lock mean I have to have 2 different keys? One for doors and the other for ignition? One key would be really cool....

Sprint.

How heavy is your key ring? I have heard that heavy key rings can wear the pins out. Granted your car is ever 35 years old, but it is something for all of us to consider.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Update...

Originally posted by neilk
    How heavy is your key ring? I have heard that heavy key rings can wear the pins out. Granted your car is ever 35 years old, but it is something for all of us to consider.
    My key ring is just my '67S key on my Montblanc keyflob which weighs a feather. Unlike my show-off snob friends who have a bunch of keys to their cars, I have one key to each car. Hehe... Not to mention I hate the sound of key dangling and tinkling each other!

By the way, I've marked the wires and removed the switch. In the meantime I've replaced it with a VW switch (so I can get to work and back!) till I find a replacement.

The question is how can I find out that can use my old key? Or do I have to rekey my door locks to suit the new switch?

Also, where can I find a new switch? I've looked in places like Pelican Parts and it's NLA....

Lastly, how many wires are there to your ignition switch? Shawn? Your car is probably closest to mine. I've got 5 wires only but the switch has a whole ring of male connectors out of which 6 out of 11 are not used! Why?

Thanks.

Sprint.

digicam is dead...I killed it...

There are 4 red, 2 yellow, and 1 white.

As viewed from the drivers seat; starting at the center (with the same order as above) moving to the 9 o'clock position, then clockwise ending at the 6 oclock position with the white wire.

I have the unused male receptacles as well. As to thier function...

I can post a pic 24 hours and one trip to Best Buy from now.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399