Thread: MFI primer

MFI primer

I have recently bought a 1971 2.2S locally which was a UK delivery originally . Very happy so far . I don't know why I spent so many years wrestling with the 915 in front of torquey motors when I could have been REALLY enjoying myself again !!
    One item that I am not familiar with is the MFI primer on the dash between the steering column and the vent controls . I have discovered when pushed several times ( 6 or 8 ) helps start the motor more quickly than not using it .
    No pics as I am not of the computer generation , but it is a little anodised button about 1/4 inch long - springloaded .
    Over to the MFI Einstiens - how does this gizmo work ?

- How did those Pommie pensioners happen to beat us last night ??
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

This is not a factory item. The MFI set up doesn't require any cold start priming as it has an automatic cold start solenoid and enrichening device
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

You may have a remote cold start push-button like many people such as myself have installed. The factory cold start system has a solenoid on top of the fuel distributor/filter assembly that can be re-wired from ignition start circuit to a manually operated, cockpit mounted, push button. The solenoid opens a valve that lets a small ammount of raw fuel into the side of each intake (the small diameter fuel lines running from the fuel filter assembly to the side of the intakes).The advantage I found is a precise control over the ammount of fuel on start up. I find this very helpful when tuning MFI as they can be very balky on start when warm if not perfecly tuned.
    72 911T/E Targa
    72 911 S
    1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Definately not factory. My Kremer RS has a primer button on the shifter linkage cover on the rear tunnel. I do not have the original warmup parts on the car. When I purchased the car it had detailed instructions on when and for how long to push the button!

Best,

Don

Originally posted by Rennman
    When I purchased the car it had detailed instructions on when and for how long to push the button!
    You sure it's not the NOS button? Hit the gas!!!

Sprint.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a primer button.

Great fun though......anti theft, even those who are supposed to be driving it cannot get it started...

Almost every time it goes to the shop I get a call....

Another thing that makes the whole experience special...like starting an aircraft