Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: auto transporters

auto transporters

A friend of mine from So. Cal may be purchasing a early 911 in the Atlanta area. He wants to have it shipped back here to Los Angeles. Any advise which one to use, which ones NOT to use, advise on dealing with the companies?

TIA,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    The first question is: what sort of shape is the 911s in? If it's goung to need some work once it reaches Southern California your friend can save a lot of money by not using one of the high-end exotic auto transporters.

If it is a car that deserves gentle, enclosed transportation, I would predict the high-end outfits would probably move the car for $ 1,500--maybe a little less. I think New England to L.A. runs $ 1,600 for one car.

I've found both Passport and Thomas Sunday to be pretty acceptable based on one contact with each. I believe Porsche Cars of North America uses Interstate, which I have heard highly recommended.

You can probably get safe, reliable transportation from any of Passport, Thomas Sunday, Interstate and probably a few others. It's not all that hard for a truck driver to be careful. Then again, even the best shippers can screw up. Think about what happenned to 356 001.

Don't forget to ask about insurance coverage for the 911 while it's being transported. Ask the transporters if they can guarantee the cars will be unloaded in the reverse order they were loaded (i.e. will the 911 stay parked until it arrives at your friend's place, or will it have to move on and off the van?). If your friend would rather pay big bucks he can probably have the 911 ride alone.

If your friend's flexible on scheduling he can probably save some money.

Good advice from NeunElf.

I've had good results with Passport, whiach is owned by Federal Express.
    Dick Moran

Just last week I had a '71 S shipped from Virginia to the Metro Detroit area by Reliable. Car needs work but even though they handled it like it was concours. They have the option of shipping enclosed or open. After checking around, not all companies ship everywhere. Best to call.
    Good luck!
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

Brian Buxton has a list of recommended enclosed transporters on his links page at http://www.buxtonmotorsports.com/links.htm

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

DO NOT USE KIWI TRANSPORT!!!

A year ago September, I had my car transported from Kentucky. A friend of mine who is in the biz recommended his transporter. During transport the carrier damaged the rear deck lid on my car. The cost of repair was $5 under their insurance deductible. I paid out of my pocket to fix the car. They paid me back with three seperate payments which took one year. I made over thirty phone calls to this company during this time. The insurance companies were absolutlely no help. Looking back I am amazed I got my money back.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Originally posted by NeunElf
    I believe Porsche Cars of North America uses Interstate, which I have heard highly recommended.
    Maybe I should have said "Intercity" I'm not even certain there is an "Interstate" Auto Transporter now. I seem to get those names confused.

I rolled the dice and found this website "www.carmovers.com"
    they bid for your business (multiple bids). It cost me $650.00 to transport from Seattle to L.A. for a non-operational car ($500 for a
    opperational), came off a big rig car mover trailer and everything looked ok.

John

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    The first question is: what sort of shape is the 911s in? If it's goung to need some work once it reaches Southern California your friend can save a lot of money by not using one of the high-end exotic auto transporters.

If it is a car that deserves gentle, enclosed transportation, I would predict the high-end outfits would probably move the car for $ 1,500--maybe a little less. I think New England to L.A. runs $ 1,600 for one car.

I've found both Passport and Thomas Sunday to be pretty acceptable based on one contact with each. I believe Porsche Cars of North America uses Interstate, which I have heard highly recommended.

You can probably get safe, reliable transportation from any of Passport, Thomas Sunday, Interstate and probably a few others. It's not all that hard for a truck driver to be careful. Then again, even the best shippers can screw up. Think about what happenned to 356 001.

Don't forget to ask about insurance coverage for the 911 while it's being transported. Ask the transporters if they can guarantee the cars will be unloaded in the reverse order they were loaded (i.e. will the 911 stay parked until it arrives at your friend's place, or will it have to move on and off the van?). If your friend would rather pay big bucks he can probably have the 911 ride alone.

If your friend's flexible on scheduling he can probably save some money.
    Agree with NeunElf. I want know more about what exactly happened in to 356 001. keep upadating.

all good feedback, I had a less-than-stellar experience with intercity back 8 years ago, they just kept delaying my car pickup until my deadline had passed, and I needed the car, so I flew and drove it home.

that being said, they had moved a vintage Mercedes Benz 230sl for me a year prior and it was fine.

still, Thomas Sunday gave me much better results, used them last year and it was simply perfect.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622