Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delayed Delivery

Delayed Delivery

Well, I was getting all excited, here it is, nearly the end of the year, and that means that March is only just around the corner. So I started looking for airlines so that I could pick up my new VG Targa, and the wife is looking at Broadway shows and fancy hotels. (ok, there is payback here someplace.)

Called my wrench, and he says "Well, I was thinking more like towards the end of April." Hey, what happened to early March?

So my schedule has now shifted. I need to wait till after I file my taxes in April, so it looks like a trip to the east coast on April 22nd.

A P-Cynic I spoke to yesterday told me "yes, but it will really be June!!" Hey, I hope not!!

But anyway. Now the question. The car is normal height for a USA 73. What are your feelings on having it lowered? Everyone seems to get excited about the lowering of these cars. It seems, from what I read, that the height of the USA cars in 73 was really intended to comply with the bumper height regulations. What is your thought? I am not going to race or autocross the car, just have fun with it. Ohhhh Yeaaaaaaaah

So, should I have it lowered, and by how much?

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Re: Delayed Delivery

Originally posted by larry47us
    So, should I have it lowered, and by how much?
    I would have it lowered to Euro height for your purposes and no more, or you will be dragging expensive bits over swales, speedbumps and steep driveways.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

TT's right, get it down to its correct spec....Euro height,
    so when you get it lowered again its less of a shock...!!!!

Seriously it needs to be Euro height.

Larry,

Euro height only! Mine was supposed to be June, its now December and counting. Welcome to the resto dilemna - push hard on the delivery date at the risk of the wrench cutting corners. I must drive up to check on the car every 2 weeks or so. Sometimes it moves forwards, sometimes it doesn't. I've given up on the delivery date in favor of 'no excuses for cutting corners, or the work not being done right'. I have no idea how you are managing the quality and timing from long distance. Good Luck!

Chris
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

By the way... what is the Euro height? I recall seeing a "pavement-to-wheel arch" height diagram somewhere.

Jol

Originally posted by yopurp
    I have no idea how you are managing the quality and timing from long distance. Good Luck!

Chris
    Chris:

That is the dilema for me. I found this car when I asked him to do a PPI for me on another car and it failed miserably. After we agreed on the purchase price and terms, I had the car inspected by someone else (independent, experienced and a member of this registry), just to keep us both honest. Then I agreed to a substantial downpayment in exchange for the title and monthly progress payments. But, I will pay no more than 50% of the total price before delivery. Some weeks before delivery, there will be another inspection by my independent expert, and the wrench will make any corrections before my pickup.

Yes, I am taking a lot for granted, trusting and being maybe a bit naive. But I think that I should come out OK. Having a 50% holdback is quite an incentive for him to get it done right.

Other than that, since this is my first Pcar, I would have no clue by looking at it, or even driving it, if it is right or wrong. I have learned a lot from the crew on this BBS during the past number of months, but only enough to know how little I know.

And, yes, I guess that April could turn to May or June, but then the wrench is left without the last 50% that he is waiting for. Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Originally posted by Jol Dantzig
    By the way... what is the Euro height? I recall seeing a "pavement-to-wheel arch" height diagram somewhere.

Jol
    Chuck Moreland offered this comment at Pelican:

"But what is Euro height? The oft quoted 25.5 front wheel arch, 25 rear wheel arch is not accurate. Those measures are dependent upon tire diameter and variations in body work that might run 1/2 inch or so. This is a blunt instrument that is suitable only for crude adjustment.

To properly set ride height, you need to follow factory procedures - eg. Measure the difference between tbar center and wheel center."
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Chris:

That is the dilema for me. I found this car when I asked him to do a PPI for me on another car and it failed miserably. After we agreed on the purchase price and terms, I had the car inspected by someone else (independent, experienced and a member of this registry), just to keep us both honest. Then I agreed to a substantial downpayment in exchange for the title and monthly progress payments. But, I will pay no more than 50% of the total price before delivery. Some weeks before delivery, there will be another inspection by my independent expert, and the wrench will make any corrections before my pickup.

Yes, I am taking a lot for granted, trusting and being maybe a bit naive. But I think that I should come out OK. Having a 50% holdback is quite an incentive for him to get it done right.

Other than that, since this is my first Pcar, I would have no clue by looking at it, or even driving it, if it is right or wrong. I have learned a lot from the crew on this BBS during the past number of months, but only enough to know how little I know.

And, yes, I guess that April could turn to May or June, but then the wrench is left without the last 50% that he is waiting for. Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

larry
    Duh, I hate to rain on your parade and I do wish you well, but....

What if he has your car totally screwed up and he has 50% of your money. He may decide that it is not worth going further. That can leave you holding the bag. Afterall, you can take the car but maybe it will cost you more than your holdback to get it corrected by a different fellow.

This is a case of trust and how well you trust the guy doing the work.

Like I said, I hope it turns out ok for you.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Originally posted by HarryD
    Duh, I hate to rain on your parade and I do wish you well, but....This is a case of trust and how well you trust the guy doing the work.

Like I said, I hope it turns out ok for you.
    Harry:
    What you say is true. But what is the sure thing? You see a car fully done, have a PPI done by someone respectable, and then drive it home to "suddenly" discover the innumerable things that can go wrong with something this complex. You have paid full dollar for something, and you wind up paying more to get it fixed to what you had expected.

You trusted what was presented, and yet it didn't meet the expectations. You take a car to a shop to get work done. Reputation and all, and they don't do it quite as well as they should have. You trusted, but you got less than expected.

Yes it is trust. And how well do I know this guy? Well, not at all. But my trusted inspector has seen a car that he has built up from scratch that was sold to a friend of his. And the wrench has done work on his car also. And he is going to do things to the car in the restore that we hadn't agreed on, that I didn't even know should be done, just because he knows that it is the right way of doing it.

Yes, I am taking a chance. If it doesn't work out, I will be sadder, poorer and with my nightmare "dream" Pcar.

But I have taken this step. And I do have faith that he will come through. I sent money to someone unknown and waited for him to ship me a radio - and he did. I sent money to someone else unknown and waited for him to ship me a turbo oil cooler - and he did. We all trust at some point. I can't believe that you are so much of a cynic that you don't trust anyone. Maybe I am just more trusting than you, maybe more of a risk taker, maybe just more naive.

But, like you, I also hope that it turns out for me. I will keep all of you posted. And we can either celebrate when I drive it home, or you can help me cry in my beer.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Harry:
    What you say is true. But what is the sure thing?

... snip...

And I do have faith that he will come through. I sent money to someone unknown and waited for him to ship me a radio - and he did. I sent money to someone else unknown and waited for him to ship me a turbo oil cooler - and he did. We all trust at some point. I can't believe that you are so much of a cynic that you don't trust anyone. Maybe I am just more trusting than you, maybe more of a risk taker, maybe just more naive.

But, like you, I also hope that it turns out for me. I will keep all of you posted. And we can either celebrate when I drive it home, or you can help me cry in my beer.

larry
    Larry,

I hope to help you celebrate.

I do not think I am as cynical as I may appear. My wife and I have been selling stuff via e-bay and local fairs for years and only once were we given a bad check (that the person subsequently made good on). I personaly believe that 99+% of all folks are honset and try to do the right thing. From what you have said, you have tried your best to verify you will get a fair shake, and, in the end, that is all any of us can do.

Keep us posted and I do have every confidence you will be satisfied with the outcome.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300