Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any information on this car?

Originally posted by sithot
    I know this blue car. I believe it's a VW conversion........

Tom
    A VW conversion? Huh? Don't really get what you are saying...

Sprint.

Wink Kit car

Tom, you mean one of those fiberglass body kits on a VW Beetle pan? You might br right. I noticed the engine is really a plastic mock-up placed over a 1300 cc. 40 hp. VW 4cyl.

Nice job though, those seats almost look real!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Re: Kit car

Originally posted by Jens
    Tom, you mean one of those fiberglass body kits on a VW Beetle pan? You might br right. I noticed the engine is really a plastic mock-up placed over a 1300 cc. 40 hp. VW 4cyl.

Nice job though, those seats almost look real!

Jens, you got it all wrong. The 1200 made 40hp while the 1300 made 50hp. Remember Herbie? The power of 40 horses!!! Go, Herbie, go!

Sprint.

Re: Sleeper Steelies?

Originally posted by 6 Shooter
    I think that those steelies belong to Scott's Independent in Anaheim (CA).
    You are absolutely correct. It belongs to the owner, Scott himself.A nice car, very understated.

I saw the car just this last Saterday.....looks much better in real life than the pictures (no slam on the photo's !!!)

cheers!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

I absolutely love that car. Are there any more pics of it floating about the internet? I'd especially love interior photo's
    Tim
    1973 T

Centers/Drop Centers?

Sprint,
    The 'center' is the vertical (installed) section which is tightened against the disc brake hub or brake drum face.
    The 'drop center' is the section of the outer rim that drops below the safety bead area (which seals against the tire bead). If you can picture a cross section view of a modern steel wheel, draw a line from one safety bead area (at the base of the inner wheel lip) to the other safety bead area. The 'drop center' section is the area between and below this line. Another way to visualize this is with a wide 'U' shape channel, with a narrower 'U' channel below. I am not sure of the reason for the 'drop center' other than it makes it alot easier to mount/dismount a 15" tire bead over a 15" rim that has a 16 1/4"-16 3/4" wheel lip.
    There are wheels (some race and aircraft) that do not have a 'drop center'. The 'flat center' is to reduce the possibility of losing (dismounting by itself) a tire after a flat @ speed. I have some 60's 'flat center'16x10's (2-piece wheel) that must be split to mount/dismount a tire.
    Not all steel wheel centers are welded to the outer wheel rims. Some of the older steel centers were riveted to steel rims. Some wheels used steel centers riveted to alloy rims (906?).
    I think that's how it is....
    Oh, yeah... so the O.D. of the wheel center needs to match the I.D. of the wheel rim outer @ the drop center.
    If the drop center is not centered in the rim and located where you need for your special offset, you can flip the rim (asymetrical) around and have a 'reversed' rim. You would need to mount/dismount tires on a 'reversed' rim from the back (hub/drum) side.
    (Please correct this if I've made a mistake.)
    Sprint, I've been lurking around here, working, going nowhere fast....