Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RS #1036 sells at Bonhams

RS #1036 sells at Bonhams

We have discussed value of these cars from time to time so I thought I would pass along the info on the sale of this car at Bonham's recent Olympia sale. Here is the description of the car from the catalogue.

"Sold new in Germany on 1st April 1973 via Porsche Centre, Stuttgart, this Carrera RS was ordered with the factory fitted options of limited-slip differential, sports seats and ‘Touring’ package – Porsche’s luxury trim for its homologation models.

Exported to Hong Kong, in 1992 the car was significantly restored and professionally converted to right-hand drive by German Motors Ltd. of Kowloon at a cost of $122,000.

Imported into the UK in 1996 it has seen little use while in the present ownership, covering some 15,000kms between May ‘96 and today. (the total reading on the original odometer being 50,000kms-or-so). Described by the private owner as in good to very good condition in all respects, it is finished in the most appealing colour scheme of Tangerine Orange with black interior and benefits from uprated brakes, suspension and a Scott & Hayward exhaust system. Offered with V5 registration document, MoT and road fund licence to February 2004.

Estimate: £22,000 to 25,000
    Sold for £21,500 ($42,527 USD)"

Here is a not so good photo of the car.

Several things are interesting. Originally this was a Light Yellow car that is now Tangerine and it has been converted to lightweight specs. The engine number matches the chassis number, but it was converted to RHD at great expense(is that $122K USD?). Considering the money spent on the conversion, it sure sold for low price. According to 'Carrera RS' this car was the first RS to come off the normal 911 production line because the homologation stipulations had been met. Any guys from the UK know any addition info on this car? Just curious.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

It could have sold for this price for a couple of reasons...Bonhams left out the word "Replica" or they are showing the good side of the car as the other side was train wrecked.

Seriously, Could the color change and change from left to right hand drive hurt the value? I also noticed in the picture that the front wheel cap was missing, the bumper stripe sloppy , the rocker seems to be "bowed", wheels finished wrong...Maybe it is just not a "Good one" or it did not present well.

Best,

Don

RS Values...

Well, let's see...when was the last time any of us heard of a real RS, touring OR lightweight, RH OR LF drive, go for UNDER $50K? Under $60K? Even under $70K would have to be considered 'quiet the bargain', to quote a GOOD FRIEND!

Generally speaking, cars sell for what they're worth, with the occassional exception where somebody overpays - LESS OFTEN, the 'steal' comes along, especially at auction...SO....my guess there must be some VERY VERY expensive and SERIOUS challenges here....Don - I agree, maybe it's a C-L-O-N-E !
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar

The occasional exception...

In Feb 2002, I was seriously considering this RS, which was being sold at the RM Amelia Island auction. I just couldn't get down to see it, so I didn't bid. It ended up selling for much less than I thought - $48K, looks like someone got a great deal. Yep... one that got away, but you never know with auctions - if I had bid, it may have gone for much more.

Does anyone know any details of this car or where it ended up going?? I don't recall the number.

Edit: Don't know why it's listed as a 72 here. I do remember it having a "36" in the VIN.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Greetings,

That car was bought by http://www.heritageclassics.com/porsche.html and relisted and for $78,000+ and since sold a while back.

Best,

Don

Correct...

Don, thanks, I was just about to post that info. Nicholas Cage bought it from Heritage. It was bought by Heritage along with a Gulf Orange RS, and both were sold for $78,500. I heard they were both poorly restored.
    Bahia Red '72 911S

ES #333

I was struck by the cost of the conversion to RHD and restoration in addition to the description of "good to very good condition in all respects" compared to the actual selling price of only $42,500.

I quess a number of things can happen in 10 years since the $122,000 was spent, to devalue the car. It must be a mini train-wreck at least.

Stacy,

The RM auction description lists Nicholas Gage as the seller at $48K. Looks like Heritage turned it for a nice profit if they received their asking price. Here is another example of a large amount spent on restoration ($100K) and a sale of $48K. As you said Stacy, it must not have been a high quality job.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Guys, Could you have this backwards? Cage sells low at auction, Heritage buys and resells for $78,500? That seems to make more sense but??

Best,

Don

Originally posted by Rennman
    Guys, Could you have this backwards? Cage sells low at auction, Heritage buys and resells for $78,500? That seems to make more sense but??

Best,

Don
    Don,

That is what I was trying to say, it just wasn't very clear.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Corrections...

Both cars were bought AND sold by Heritage. They were bought at the same time, from a European seller. They were listed for sale at the same time, and sold within weeks of each other.

Nicholas Cage bought the Gulf Orange one - I know, because a friend of mine passed on it right before Cage bought it. I have no idea what happened to the car after he bought it from them. Their listing price was $78,500, I have no idea what he paid. But they were pretty firm....
    Bahia Red '72 911S

ES #333