Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old VIN's - Ownership History?

Old VIN's - Ownership History?

All,

My car is almost done being restored, but in trying to research ownership history (not much came w/the car), I've reached a dead end as the last owner to have the car running is no longer at the number I was given, and I don't have a valid last name.

I've check the DMV web site, Car Fax, etc... and there are no instructions on how to get even a limited history report on pre-1981 VIN #'s. Has anyone else tried walking into the DMV and asking for a registration history on their car? I'm assuming that if a private company like CarFax can get the info, it must be public.

Anyone have a source or know the DMV process? I'm in California.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

If you're really serious, you might talk to a private eye...they seem to have trace methods we mere mortals can't access..
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Was hoping there was a DMV process (read: cheap) or service that I didn't know about. I'm not sure its worth it to go as far as a PI.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

Then my suggestion would be to just enjoy your car, and not worry about P.O.'s. Once I looked at a car ...I was told it was once owned by Shannon whatzername from a "hit" TV show. So? I was expected to spend thousands extra so I could sniff the driver's seat??? Gimme a break. A search to learn the car's service or accident history would be worth it to me. Otherwise, I wouldn't care about a P.O's name. Only care about the info on the car that he/she could give you. MHO...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I've got some pretty good history on mine and while not everyone will answer you even if you put on your most "polite hat", I figure that I've got enough to satisfy me.
    The DMV is most states will give you a fair amount of information provided you sign off on a few "no-nos".
    A well written letter should be first on the list to your previous owner. If he/she responds then you got lucky. I wouldn't call unless the person stated it was alright to do so.
    The first owner of my car is likey either a statistic or too old to remember owning the car. I got nowhere with him even with a good address. I haven't given up but it's not really that important. Texas provided all the history I needed and the rest I filled in with the records that came with the car.
    BTW, the last owner who "imported" it from TX had to be the nicest gentleman I've ever dealt with. It took him a while to crawl out into the open but he was very forthcoming and honest with his information and he'd owned the car for a good while as well.
    You might try these out for a starters.

http://www.onlinedmv.com/
    http://www.agencyrecords.com/state.htm
    http://cache.cow.net/~friedman/dmv.html

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Ownership History

Yopurp,
    Because you mention in your post that you have undertaken a restoration on your car (don't know how deep you went - but since you are a member here probably all the way, or close to it) I would expect that you already have a better working knowledge of the car's history just by knowing the body and mechanical issues you have had to face (and pay to repair) than any paperwork showing the list of owners or old receipts from repair work will offer you.
    For me at least, part of the advantage of and satisfaction of restoring a car for yourself is sorting thru the car (maybe that's why someone refers to a car as "well sorted") and becoming intimately involved with all of the issues that have to be dealt with in order to bring a car back to excellent condition. As most of us know, that costs a ****load of money and time and patience, but the end result is that nobody will know the car better than you Remember, to be an expert on your own car, "you don't need no stinkin' badge", and "you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" (this may be the one and only time Bob Dylan and the "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" are linked together!)....
    The truth is that most car owners - even early Porsche owners back in the day when their cars were new, had no real thought about the future historical value of their car, or the importance of holding onto the paperwork and receipts reflecting the maintenace and repair work they paid for while they owned it.
    Maybe that explains why one owner early 911's are so sought after, and the value of their cars is placed at a premium. Maybe you don't really want to know the hiostory of your car either. It may have been owned by Kirk Douglas, or it may have been owned by Liberace!

Paul and Gruen,

Thanks for the advice. My interest isn't so much of a resale issue, as pure hobbyist curiosity. These cars have stories (oh if these sport seats could talk!). My car was very solid - bare metal revealed no body damage, original panels, pans, battery boxes, etc... (except for front S spoiler which we found a steel replacement for). 89K on odometer, but could've been 189k for all I know (hoping DMV can clear that up). Didn't matter as the engine and trans needed complete rebuilding anyway, but all the numbers matched.

I'd been told that it was owned by a PCA member named Constantine who lived in the Santa Cruz mountains (NorCal coast). That's where my story ends. No last name. Phone number no longer is valid.

Tom - Thanks for the links. I'll do some digging there (trying like hell to avoid walking into the DMV and waiting in line).
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

Tom,

All 3 links lead back to the CA DMV Web Site. I'd spent some time on it already prior to my post, but since you led me back there again, I actually did find something.

I dug through the entire list of standard DMV forms and found one called "Request for your own driver license or vehicle registration information record" Form # INF 1125. Costs $5!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf1125.htm

I'll give it a try and post results when I get them. Thanks for the pointers.

PS - some scary forms in terms of what info someone can request about you.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

A little off topic, but my car was originally delivered in Madrid. Then, according to stuff found in the car, spent most of it's life around a girls' college in KY before sliding into disrepair. I had to assume an instructor or proffesor because any of the students would have been gone in 4 or less years. (I know, not always). With that much info, I don't really want to know more.

As sort of suggested, by the time I get done digging around on the car, replacing rusted fenders and doors and changing out or rebuiding mechanicals, it's 'history' will be erased, in my mind anyway.

When it goes on to it's next owner, it's pedegree will say, "Rescued from a deep extended sleep from under tarps and a tree by Milt," a masochist. Ha!

Zeke,

I think I"m in the same boat. Jus to close off this thread: I did use the DMV forms, sent off for 'Registration History'.

First of the all, the 'report' has almost zero information (waste of time and $$).

As for my car's DMV history, life begins in 1993. It was registered in 1993, '95, 96, 99, 00, and then in 03 (by me). I'm guessing this car wasn't running for the last 10 years at all. It looks like it was registred as non-perational (given the $25 fee amounts) for the bulk of the '90's.

Guess life does begin at 30yrs old . BTW - looking at the '03 'Anniversary Edition' in one of the car mags, in Silver Metallic, does this mean that us guys w/Silver Metallic '73's have the 10th Anniversary Edition?? Must make em worth at least an extra 15% (right Jared?)!!

Treasure Hunt Over!
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars: