Thread: Difference in '70 to '71 speaker grille

Difference in '70 to '71 speaker grille

I was trying to help a fellow P-car guy out and sold him a speaker grille for $10 including postage out of a '71 Targa. He has a '70 911, but he didn't say Targa or coupe. It doesn't fit. There is a difference?

Hmmm, I'd have originally said they were all the same. But when just dashes remanufactured Evren's dash, they insisted that the speaker grill come with the dash or it was a no go. Perhaps matching sets only? Perhaps the grille & the dash were made at the same time? So, I'll call it an "I dunno"
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Hmmm - I know the speaker itself is an odd size, no longer being made. But as far as I know the grilles should all have the same outline and fastening points. The only difference I've noticed is some grilles have a square shaped perforation pattern and some have a diamond shape.

I successfully married a dash and grille from two sources - dash from a '73 donor, not sure what year car the grille came from. It was a perfect fit.

Any more info? Could the dash be warped or have a homemade cutout???
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Question

I purschased this grill. The grill has four screws that should go into something. I have nothing to put the screws in to. There is about 1 inch below the grill area to where the speaker should be. Is there something I am missing that the grill should attach to? Or do I just have a different dash that does not belong on my 1970 Targa?
    Chris
    More 911 questions than answers.......

Check out this recent thread on dash/speaker relationships:

http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/foru...=speaker+grill

In it I posted pictures of the fittings in the grill opening which accept the threaded studs on the underside of the grill.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Photos good, my dash bad........That is definitely the problem. I don't have the female openings. My dash has the opening but doesn't have anything to push the male connections into.
    Chris

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Bad news

Three words:
    3M Trim Adhesive

If you want to bring it back to original, you need to get a used dash with the proper flange mount for the grille. Not an inexpensive proposition, plus you have to remove the windshield to install it. Not in itself a big deal, but you'll need a new rubber glass seal and may as well replace your most likely pitted windshield while it's out.

I've been there - my cost for the above... about $800.00 - and lots of swearing (did my own labor). It was worth every penny to me since I now have a perfect dash and windshield. As a bonus, I was able to see the wax pencil factory numbers which are scribbled on the metal under the dash pad (yes - I'm a geek when it comes to that stuff). Look on the bright side - you already have a grille, and at a great price to boot!

You could also just get one of the inexpensive vinyl covers that lays over the dash - if you're not concerned with originality.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

I was looking at the dash a few minutes ago. I wonder if I don't already have one of the dash covers. That would explain why I have holes for screws an inch below the dash.
    Chris

the "male" pieces just push into grommets that should be in the female holes of the dash. If your grommets are gone or worn out, a little bit of clear silicone works well and still allows easy removal of the grill in the future (I know from experience on my 71 Targa).
    '71 911S Targa