well Dick,

what do you think?
    Watt

---------
    RS clone
    2004 Challenge Stradale
    2004 GT3

It's the best new car I've driven

Finally getting around to posting a reply.

With the caveat that I've been so busy that the car isn't through the break in period yet, it does seem as close as Porsche could reasonably get to building a current day "spiritual successor" to the Carrera RS.

Plusses: Relatively light for a new car, very good power from a motor that seems happiest at high rpm's, extremely quick throttle response for a new car, and quite precise and apparently linear handling.

Minuses: The car is 10% or so heavier and bigger in all dimensions than I'd really prefer and the quality of the factory paint (at least in black) is inadequate. And, although I haven't really had the chance to confirm this impression yet, while the car does seem to plant itself quite well it does seem to have a slight tendency to bounce more than I'd expect.

The economics of ownership are also an open question, although not especially relevant in the short run if the car is good enough to be a keeper.

Overall, my initial impression is that it is a keeper. It seems like the one latter day Porsche that an early car enthusiast can really warm up to. It's feels like a very civilized track car - it even has air conditioning for hot summer days - that can be driven regularly on the street. In fact, I've even confirmed by direct experience that it's civilized enough to use for a leisurely drive with the wife.

It's a good car.

Dick Moran

Re: It's the best new car I've driven

Originally posted by D Moran
    In fact, I've even confirmed by direct experience that it's civilized enough to use for a leisurely drive with the wife.
    You know, I've gotta go get some groceries ... you wouldn't be opposed to letting me borrow the car now would you Dick?

As a quick side note, a GT-3 was the first 996 that I ever had a chance to ride in ... ever. I have to say, it was a far more enjoyable (read: comfortable) experience compared to the '73 914 that I was driving earlier that day. If only my bank account coincided with my wants and desires
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Re: It's the best new car I've driven

Originally posted by D Moran
    ......and the quality of the factory paint (at least in black) is inadequate. And, although I haven't really had the chance to confirm this impression yet.....
    hmmmm.....seems I remember a certian tall blonde having this very discussion with you last Saterday......

I thought she confirmed it for you...!!!!

BEAUTIFUL CAR Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Sorry Dick, couldn't resist this re-post!!

Here's a shot of my wife telling Dick she thought the black on his early 70 S with Andial 2.9 twin plug power was nicer than the black on his new GT3......I couldn't tell the difference, but she's worked with p-cars over 20 yrs so I don't ever argue with her.....

I don't remember if Dick agreed with her, was defending his car.....or threw in the towel.....
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

I was agreeing with Gloria

Her comparison of the paint on the two cars was observant and astute - but I guess she does work in an environment where those issues are topics of discussion every day.

It's the one thing that really bothers me about the new cars. Porsche certainly isn't bashful about charging a lot for the new cars, but, to my eyes at least, the quality of the paint is nowhere near as good as it used to be before "mass production" techniques were adopted.

By contrast, Lexuses (Lexi?) are mass-produced by Toyota with extraordinary body integrity and paint work.
    Dick Moran

Come for a ride any time Marco

It's the craziest thing - during the break in period I've been so busy that I've been using the car to run errands.

Proably been a bit of overkill for errands.
    Dick Moran

Orange peel..

I can send you to "someone" who will disolve the ripples in the paint, put there purposely for those of us that wax our cars. Europeans assume "most" will burn the paint with the new machines available.

Beautiful car Dick !!

Dick, I might just take you up on that offer ... after the break in period, of course
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

dick,

that "bounciness" will pass. i noticed it too.

wait til you start hammering it to 8000. i've got 1500 on my current GT3 and it's very fun. handles better than the 02 Gt2's i had. the suspension has been developed since clearly; the car sails across nasty bumpy sections i do everyday in the mountains where the gt2 used to porpoise and pitch.

the car has more like 400 HP. one of my buds dyno'd 358 RWHP.

all new 996's have that water based? jive paint. and body panel fit is not perfect. i have had porsche replace bonnets on 2 TT's recently, and this gt3 could use bonnet tweaking and the R door does not fit perfectly.

i drive it every weekday and it's easier in the mountains and around town than the gt2 as it feels much lighter and smaller, and spends much less time smashing on the ground as it's almost 1/2" higher.

as to economics of ownership, i expect it to be bullet proof as are GT2's and Mk I gt3's. add tyres and gas and go. many modern porsche buyers are not into performance as is evidenced by the weakness in the Gt3 market. i bought my current car new and well under window. as the word of how fun they are gets out, i think they'll hold value pretty well.

still a rocket and gt3 and gt2 are the only great cars they make at the moment.....
    Watt

---------
    RS clone
    2004 Challenge Stradale
    2004 GT3