Thread: good engine rebuild places?

good engine rebuild places?

I'm looking into getting my engine professionally rebuilt. I haven't been in the 911 scene very long, and would like to know some of the most trusted places to have an early engine rebuilt. Money is somewhat of an issue but i understand that it won't be dirt cheap. any input is apprceiated.
    68' 911
    81' 280zx turbo (for sale)$4500 obo
    96' Honda Prelude
    03' Nissan Altima

You don't say where you are located. There seems to be many qualified rebuilders across the country. You shouldn't have to ship the thing from one coast to the other. Give us a region convenient to you.

I live in Arkansas so i guess the mid-west? I have found some on the net and have been impressed the most with moter miester, but that is just the web site and shipping for the engine would be $300. We were figured that we would most likey going to have to ship it but we would be willing to driveto say Dallas or smhting like that.
    68' 911
    96' Honda Prelude
    03' Nissan Altima

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Do a search on Motor Meister. I've not dealt with them but many opinions have been expressed here and on Pelican BBS.

opinions that is.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Hi,

You might also want to ask your question and do some searches at the 911 boards at:

Rennlist and

Pelican.

Also, if there is a Porsche Club of America chapter near you, contact them for recommendations.

FYI, A properly done total rebuild for Porsche engine can cost over $10,000.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

1968 Engine rebuild

First you'll want to talk with Ed Mayo in Fort Worth TX 817 540-4939, he's the guru for early 911 in the midwest to Texas coast. And pretty active in this here very club.

Check with Leo goff at Memphis Motorwerks, too. www.memphismotorwerks.com

The cost for a complete rebuild is about those in Wayne Dempseys "How to rebuild and Modify Porsche 911 Engines". For the cost of the book, about $30 you can get a real heads-up on what to look for and what is needed to rebuild a 911 engine. Look for the book on line and you can get it for far less.

Dempsey's breakdown is: Parts just under $3,000. Machine shop costs about $3,300. And Engine builder cost is in the range of $3,000.

After a piston failure, (and dummy me I drove the car home) I had to replace the oil cooler, oil pump and just about every wear item in the engine at a cost of $12,000. After a number of years racing that same engine the rebuild was at $9,000.

Look up the costs for a set of pistons and cylinders for your 68 2 ltr. it's just one of your big budget items. Dempsey factors $1400 for a 2.7, but for your engine will be closer to $3000.

Bob

Tanks for the info, i will get ahold of the one in memphis definately. I kinda upsets me to spend that much on my engine though since it only has 140 or 110 hp (depending on sorce). A swap is becoming more appaing all the time.
    68' 911
    96' Honda Prelude
    03' Nissan Altima

Originally posted by 68'911
    Tanks for the info, i will get ahold of the one in memphis definately. I kinda upsets me to spend that much on my engine though since it only has 140 or 110 hp (depending on sorce). A swap is becoming more appaing all the time.
    For better or worse, it seems that the cost to rebuild an air cooled 911 engine is the same regardless of the displacement.

Cost is determined by the extent of the rebuild required and how much upgraded you do "while you are in there". You need to decide what you want/need in terms of work done, what your budget will be, and how the work will be done (by you or others).

I faced a similar decision this summer. For me, the options came down to: top end only, top end plus rings, top end plus P&C replacement, total rebuild, or 3.0/3.2 upgrade.

Based on the info I had before we pulled the engine, I thought I would need no more than a top end. This would put be back to stock and I would have an engine that I would expect 50-100k miles of addtional service, and was acceptable to me. The downside is that I would need to do the bottom end early.

On the other hand, for roughtly 2x the top end cost (after I sold my core 2.4 L), I could do a 3.0 transplant with an upside of more hp but a downside of possibly facing a rebuild in the next 1-3 years. This seemed to be a sensible path if I needed to replace the P&C's or do the bottom end as the costs would be similar.

As it turned out, all I needed was a top end. I think I saved a few dollars but, of course I did not get a bump in hp.

Time will tell if this was a good choice.

Good luck in your decision.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

We are at the point that all we really know is that it has to be rebuilt, and there is no compression in the #3 cylinder. We have been hoping that it is nothing really serious. I think for know we are going to treat the symptoms that we have to and maybe get some upgrades to make it more reliabe, it all depends on what things look like when we get the motor out, and the funds that we have at hand. If we are going to have to replace the p&c's then we might just go ahead and do a swap. Thanks again for the info.
    68' 911
    96' Honda Prelude
    03' Nissan Altima