Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RHD Carrera RS 2.7 M471 'Lightweight'

Guys,

I'm trying to understand the process described here:

''Reshelled in 1974 by Jack Tordoff of JCT600 with new factory-trimmed Lightweight (M471) bodyshell; all period competition history completed with the current shell"

Did the Factory make and supply a shell after production of the F body style was complete?

Andy,

How does the car you are describing compare to the other M471 RS (1213) the Autofarm has?

Don,

I think you are refering to the '69 Trans Am Camaro. They put a vinyl roof on the car to hide the over zealous dipping damage, but were caught. Yes they did have to cut off the roof and weld another roof onto the car.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

As for sticking to the subject I have been a good acquaintance of Bob Beasley for over 20 years. Bob owned one of the original IROC RSR's and I can tell you for a fact that this car had some serious damage done to it in it's day the including a backing into the wall at Daytona at a prodigious clip. I recall that the rear section of the car was pretty badly damaged one year and that it literally needed a clip. Bob also removed the original fenders (cut them off with a saws-all) and used fiberglass fenders with Dzus connectors. (this also made it easier to work on as a by-product)These were the rough and tumble times and none of us thought the cars were anything more than an appliance to go racing in. Nobody gave it a moments thought with respect to cutting, welding, swapping or whatever. You did what you did to race. Collectors, liars, shylocks and the rest have done what they can to make a buck honest or otherwise off of these cars. A story is a story and it's only as good as the source. I've heard them all. Recently a few very rare cars showed up in Japan for sale. Unfortunately, they are not real and before a deal was struck the cat was let out of the bag saving the buyer a great deal of money and embarassment. (To hell with embarassment; show me my money!)
    Back to the RSR:
    The old car was a real war-horse and Bob did campaign it far beyond its useful life in "competitive" racing.
    In 1983 we painted it with spray bombs that approximated Gulf Blue. It also broke that year as we snapped a camshaft nose in the International Horse Shoe. I have fond memories of that Daytona 24 Hour Race some 20 years ago.
    Preston Henn (remember the Swap Shop?) and Bob Wolleck won the race in a 935 painted like I'll never forget. (only Danny On- The-Gas ever drove a prettier car) AJ Foyt drove as well. The 3rd (or 4th depending on your views of who Preston Henn; hint: $$$ man) was Claude Ballot-Lena (RIP).

The big question that year was: Where did the Pauls (John and Jr.) come up with their money? Chocolate? Oh, that's right, they own Peter Paul Candy. Well, not quite right green-horn. Yes, it was candy alright but not chocolate. You smoked it! The rest of that is history. John, Sr. shot the undercover agent tracking him and his son who was not at all a bad driver did hard time for the sins of the old man and himself cutting off what could have been a pretty good career.

Bob eventually sold the car before it got too valuable (timing is everything) and now races motorcycles for fun. He's actually quite fast and will probably leave this earth doing 200mph with his hair on fire. Ex-jet jockeys are unusually high strung.
    He is a genuine neat guy and loves to reminisce; He's got some great Milt Minter stories. I've called him from time to time and we would talk about the old days and he bitches about the POS's that Porsches have become since the old days. He's correct in some respects and opinionated in others and just doing what "old Generals" do when they are not in the battle anymore. "The battles are never as fierce as when we fought!"

FWIW:

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Good stuff Tom. I guess in the day matching numbers ect. did not win any races.

The point I was trying to make when I refered to the Holbert car was the seller was stating this was the Ex Penske 73 RSR when in reality the original RSR is long gone being wrecked then retubed two times. There are no signs of the original car. Hopefully the restoration build up will be the Holbert car last built. I do not see how it could reapear as the Penske 73 RSR as it physically does not exist in this car today. Does anyone know where that wrecked tub went? Or the Daytona winning Brumos 73 RSR?

Frank I am glad you will have the RS at Daytona. I am bringing/running my Green RS there along with the 68. Can't wait till April. Speaking of Spring, How about another gathering during the Porsche Club Race at the Garage?

Best,

Don

Don, I hear you loud and clear. Hopefully due dilligence on the part of buyers and sellers will scuttle some of these shenanigans.
    I don't think any car that has a "new" tub is original. How can it be? It's a slippery slope but the logic just isn't there.

We are again fortunate that Porsche has kept such fastidious records. But then again when there is a buck to be made it can bring out the worst in people.

I'll be looking for that "green" car in April myself. Enjoy the holiday season.

Best regards,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Gentleman; for what it's worth and my own knowledge:

What is an original RSR IROC car worth these days? I'd be talking about a no story original car with documentation.

I appreciate all opinions.

Regards,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111