Thread: car history

Great story and welcome aboard!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

What a beauty! Especially the wheels - minilights? Welcome to the BB. You will find tons of help.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

mr9146,

I had a 914 2.0 4 cyl that I successfully autoxed in B stock for 3 years, eventually defeating my arch rival by .002 sec in the last event of the season to win for the year (regionally), It was slated for its second resurection but the rust depressed me and a friend made me an offer on all the suspension goodies I couldn't refuse, sold the motor too, but I will probably own another someday, definitely a 6 next time, something with torque, 2.4 min, (3.6?!?!)

Crazy to take my new wife around Europe in a race car?

Consider this. It was her idea to go to LeMans 24 for our honeymoon, she didn't flinch when I saw Jims ad in Excellence and put the idea of buying it out there, and to add extra entertainment to it, we had no definite travel plans, (except for the Honeymoon suite at the Chateau D'Artegne), no reservations, and it was wonderful. Explore at will the countryside and find B&Bs when we felt like stopping. Pack our clothes in trash bags and repack the front trunk when it leaked in the rain. We did make arrangements to go to the Porsche factory (which almost unraveled except for the assistance of Jurg Austin, a semi retired Porsche exec, Lemans mechanic from back in the day, and all around nice guy who we met in the Porsche corral) and managed to get into Weissach post race (Linda grabbed a "marble" of tire rubber from the 26 car which resides with a model of the car on our shelf). Unfortunately, they are very strict about cameras on site. We were allowed one picture with Jurgen Barth who gave us a "ride" around the track. (massive understatement!) She came home from the honeymoon pregnant and we credit the G-forces generated in the ride from Jurgen for making sure the seed was planted firmly in the uterine wall. Ian was born 9 months later at 8:11, which is 9:11 in daylight savings time.

Linda has more track time than I do, is a two time national champion concour winner ('96 & "97, preparation division with a Violet Blue Metalic (purple) C2. Trailered first year, driven 600 miles through the rain and cleaned for 25 hours a day for 4 days to win the second time.) Fortunately this was all (almost) out of her system before I met her. She was recognized while walking the pits at LeMans by a Concour competitor from the states (that made her day!)

Anyone who knows how to reach Jurg Austin, or Stella ? who was the liason with the club at the time, please assist us there also. Stella and Linda hit it off well, but it seems that she probably married Andre and went into hiding.
    Brian and Linda

pictures

PS, Thanks Nick for the pictures
    Brian and Linda

Thumbs up

Brian&Linda

Happy Holidays and welcome aboard !!!

It sounds like you both have just the right amount of passion and pathology

Hope you guys make it out to the 'left' coast in the near future... would love to crack-a Corona and schmooze.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Pack our clothes in trash bags and repack the front trunk when it leaked in the rain
    Yup! That confirms you are crazy!
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    Nick - I think the guy who imported it from Italy was Mauro Andreini (rather than Mario Andretti !). He was a well-known engine builder (particularly 911 race engines) back in the 80's & 90's. I'm pretty sure he's still around but I don't think he's involved (not commercially anyway) with 911's any more.
    I'm very sorry for this late reply but I wasn't aware of this site. Yes Andy, it was me who brought the 1969 911s from Italy. The car was in the hands of a friend dealer but it was a non runner. It appeared to have been racing previously as I found a 2.5 modified engine in it (on the original stroke) and an earlier and stronger 901 aluminium gearbox. The very interesting thing is that is was fitted with a massive BOSH unit for bridging the 2 12v batteries and produce a 24v feed to the starter motor in order to cope with high compression engines. That unit was non available on the market which mede me think of a potential Porsche official preparation. However the car was acquired by me as one of the two racing 911 (both 2lt shells - the lightest) and eventually prepared by me amongst many others in the championship, aincluding one for Jim Avis. The car can be seen in my first seasons (1987/88) also in Pole at Donington looking through the albums in my Facebook page of memorabilia - Tempo Racing Developments - here - https://www.facebook.com/temporacingdevelopments

Quote Originally Posted by blbong View Post
    I'm new at this forum stuff so if I do something stupid, excuse me. I (we, Linda and Brian) have a 69 s we bought on our honeymoon in germany/france and shipped back. We are startiing the process of researching the history. We have sent in a request for Authenticity from Porsche and will be mailing in our membership form to your registry for starters.

The cars VIN is 119301010. We bought it from James Avis who vintage raced it in FIA (fia or asn no: 98/2266). He lives in England and we will be contacting him also in an effort to fill out the history. He said that the car was purchased by him already prepared as a race car (cage/lowered/emergency kill switch) out of a barn in Italy.

Any links/help/suggestions anyone may have that would further our efforts would be appreciated.

On a personal note. We picked up the car in Paris and went to the 1998 24 hrs of LeMans. Pariticipated in a "Lap of Honor" around (2x around) the circuit, parked in the Porsche Corral and slept (cat napped) at the track that night in the car. Celebrated extensively at the finish! Drove the car through the countryside with no agenda for 2 weeks and shipped it home. Unfortunately customs took their toll on the car (looking for drugs?) and the car has not run since. (nothing major/lack of time on my part)

I will try to get pictures loaded in the near future and look forward to finding out more about our car.
    Looking forward to
    I'm very sorry for this late reply but I wasn't aware of this site. Yes Andy was right, it was me who brought the 1969 911s from Italy. The car was in the hands of a friend dealer but it was a non runner. It appeared to have been racing previously as I found a 2.5 modified engine in it (on the original stroke) and an earlier and stronger 901 aluminium gearbox. The very interesting thing is that is was fitted with a massive BOSH unit for bridging the 2 12v batteries and produce a 24v feed to the starter motor in order to cope with high compression engines. That unit was non available on the market which mede me think of a potential Porsche official preparation. However the car was acquired by me as one of the two racing 911 (both 2lt shells - the lightest) and eventually prepared by me amongst many others in the championship, including one for Jim Avis. The car can be seen in my first seasons (1987/88) also in Pole at Donington looking through the albums in my Facebook page of memorabilia - Tempo Racing Developments - here - https://www.facebook.com/temporacingdevelopments