Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does your broomstick go?

How does your broomstick go?

Hello Gang,

I'm referring to the long steering column piece in '67 and earlier cars. The one that extends to nearly the fuel tank. Does your broomstick lay flat on the trunk floor or is there a gap? Mine has a gap and there is a fair bit of space (about a finger's width) between the bottom of my dash (where the tacho sits) and the top of the switch box (that thing with the steering shaft and wiper and indicators switches).

Help me out here. I'm having my car in pieces to chase this ghost.

By the way, some dude Down Under told me I had to remove my fuel tank to change my brake master pump... I pulled it out and nope.... I don't see my master cylinder. Am I missing something? The master pump is accessed from the bottom, right?

Thanks.

Sprint.
    '67S.

Re: How does your broomstick go?

Originally posted by SprintStar
    By the way, some dude Down Under told me I had to remove my fuel tank to change my brake master pump... I pulled it out and nope.... I don't see my master cylinder. Am I missing something? The master pump is accessed from the bottom, right?
    Unless things are arranged totally differently on your RHD model, the MC is accessed from beneath the car by pulling off the gravel shield under the steering rack (4 bolts). It is not necessary to remove the fuel tank.

As far as your steering shaft goes, I have no idea what a RHD installation looks like, but as I said the last time you asked this question, there is very little gap between the dash and the steering column in my LHD '67S (maybe 1/4" max.) Maybe Andy or Nick from the UK can comment on the RHD model configuration.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

As Tom rightly says the master cylinder is accessed from underneath and by removing the stone shield.

Here is a picture of a RHD 67 "broomstick".
    I have no pics of the top part as the car is stored away from home.

Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

All this talk of "broomstick" made me think the post was about the (un) official name the troops gave to the Blackhawk used to ferry Hillary about Afghanistan...rumored to be "Broomstick one"..
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Originally posted by nick-moss
    As Tom rightly says the master cylinder is accessed from underneath and by removing the stone shield.

Here is a picture of a RHD 67 "broomstick".
    I have no pics of the top part as the car is stored away from home.
    Hi Nick, I figured the master cylinder thingie out... But no worries. I bought an SC fuel tank anyway to fit in the car, so no biggie about the fuel tank having to come out. Just wanted to be really sure I'm NOT seeing the wrong things.

Hmm... Your '67's broomstick is very different from mine! It's recessed in a cavity in the trunk? I don't see a recess in mine... Hmm....

Ok, I'm not gonna stalk ya, but is there a number I can reach you at? My car is at my wrench's place for new suspension, so I want to really get the steering column done right since now there's a chance to. Would like to talk to a RHD dude!

Off topic : Oh... Hehe, Katie's getting RSR suspension with coilovers and all. And BIG brakes too! Does that qualify for RGruppe membership? Hehe...

Sprint.

Sprint,

Just thought it'd be of interest to you: Autofarm has an immaculate RHD '66S coupe for sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is the depression on a 68 car, which doesn't have the "broomstick", or protective tube as the PET lists it. Does your car have this depression? Is it a genuine RHD?

Originally posted by Ian Morton
    Sprint,

Just thought it'd be of interest to you: Autofarm has an immaculate RHD '66S coupe for sale.
    Hehe... Very pretty S that is! But usually POA means it's way more than I can afford.

The chassis number is very close to mine. Hmm... In fact, I'm a few numbers away from Nick's '67S! Here's a few pics of my Katie...

Merry Christmas!

Sprint.

Originally posted by nick-moss
    Here is the depression on a 68 car, which doesn't have the "broomstick", or protective tube as the PET lists it. Does your car have this depression? Is it a genuine RHD?

Hello Nick! Thanks for the pic! Hmm... It looks like Katie is indeed missing that depression! A '68 car would have it as well? I'll call my friends to check. I know of 2 '68Ss.

As far as I know, my car has been a RHD since she was born. She was originally registered in Hong Kong but came to Singapore in 1977 and has been here since. Both Hong Kong and Singapore are RHD countries....

From what I can see in this pic of the Autofarm car, my car's trunk is identical save for the depression. Yes, I have the small smuggler's box too. Is that the cause of my steering column being drooped? Here's a pic that's causing me so much discomfort. The rake is too low!

What is a good solution? To get a panel beater to knock a depression of to get another broomstick?

Have the LHD cars got the depression as well?

Merry Christmas!

Sprint.

Sprint

Is the flat part of your boot floor ribbed like this

or smooth like this