Thread: Need to lacate a heat shield for rear license plate panel

Need to lacate a heat shield for rear license plate panel

I just took my new '69E for a 5 mile ride and upon returning was dismayed to see a big (3-4 inch) raised bubble of paint on the rear license plate panel. I don't know if there was a problem with how this piece was primered (or not primered). This has never happened with any of my other early cars.

I guess I'll need to get the panel repainted, but I think I might also want to try gluing one of those "heat shields" to the inside of the license plate panel to sit between the panel and the muffler.

Any recommendations on what to heat shield to use and where to get it? Thanks to all!

Rob
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    How 'bout some pics of your new acquisition first??
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Rob, look at this shield. They are just down the street fom me. I don't know how I can help, but I will if you need something. I owe you one.

So Rob, I assume you ended up buying the orange soft window targa? If so, concratulations! Let's go for a ride

Now we have (at least) three of LWB softies in Orange County.
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

I got some heat shield material from Smart Racing, but any speed shop would carry the same stuff. Fiberglass mat with a heat shield coating on one side. You need to use a hi temp contact cement. The one I used had a 350d temp range. I got it at an Industrial Ace supply store. It was about $7.50 for a small can. I installed the mat on our track car and street car a few years ago. It has held up great with no more bubbling paint. If you can't find it let me know and I will get the name of the product.

'73 S coupe street car
    '73 targa w/3.2 street/track car
    '74 rsr clone w/2.8 twin plug track car
    '03 Boxster
    '68 v.w. crewcab w/2.4 & 5 speed
    '2001 eurovan

Thanks for all of the helpful replies! Yes Mike, I did buy the orange car. It is going to be my learning curve vehicle while I continue to search for a lwb soft window S targa. I'll post some pics shortly. Happy Holidays to all.

Rob
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

admin_old
    Rob,
    You can treat your hot muffler like the manufacturers do with mufflers and catalytic converters that reside close to sheet metal; fabricate a mount with some sheet metal between. It doesn't have to be fancy, just effective.

I suffered the same license plate bubbling on my '69 when I got it together too; maybe something to do with mixture richness causing high muffler temps. I bought some flat aluminum stock from the hardware store, bent it so when clamped onto the muffler (using the factory clamps), it provides a mounting surface. I then formed some galvanized flashing material (for roofing, about 14" wide) to conform to the OD of the muffler, then used a few sheet metal screws to attach the shield onto the bracket. The sheet metal divides the space into two air spaces; enough to prevent the panel from getting too hot. Cost: about $7 and a couple of hours labor. You can also use aluminum flashing for add'l weight savings.

Check the fuel mixture when you get a chance.

Sherwood

Originally posted by admin
    Check the fuel mixture when you get a chance.
    And beside the mixture, check the timing. Retarded timing can cause highly elevated exhaust temps.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!