Thread: Different Banana Arms for Various SWBs?

Different Banana Arms for Various SWBs?

Hello All,

How many different versions of the SWB Banana Arm are there? They differ in bolt spacing between caliper mounts?

I'm trying to fit big brakes on my '67S and the rears have me stumped.... The SC rotor's hub is too deep and the caliper mount is not nearly big enough for the adaptor...

What is the distance supposed to be? I measure about 60mm on mine. Is there a bigger version?

Did they go to a bigger pattern when they had vented rear discs?

Thanks.

Sprint.

P.S what is a fair price for used banana arms? So dude is offering to sell me his for $300 a pair. Should I grab them? It would save me shipping to Singapore!

The PET list just 2 arms for SWB cars. That would be for cars with and without A/R bars.

Later cars have 3" caliper ears (75mm)
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Originally posted by nick-moss
    The PET list just 2 arms for SWB cars. That would be for cars with and without A/R bars.

Later cars have 3" caliper ears (75mm)
    Hello Nick,

Did the SWB cars ever have 3" caliper ears? Or are they all 60mm like mine?

Thanks.

Sprint.

Originally posted by SprintStar
    Did the SWB cars ever have 3" caliper ears?
    AFAIK, none of the SWB trailing arms have the 3" bolt centers for the later calipers. Even with the vented rotors on the SWB "S", they still used the "L" caliper with the closer bolt spacing. The greater thickness of the vented rotor was accomodated by a spacer in the center of the caliper, otherwise it is the same size.

To put SC brakes on a SWB car you are looking at some custom welding and machining to make it work, and you will still need to do something trick for the E-brake. Not worth it IMHO. The stock brakes are plenty good if you get some cooling to them for track work. Why change them? "Cool" factor?

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Originally posted by ttweed
    AFAIK, none of the SWB trailing arms have the 3" bolt centers for the later calipers. Even with the vented rotors on the SWB "S", they still used the "L" caliper with the closer bolt spacing. The greater thickness of the vented rotor was accomodated by a spacer in the center of the caliper, otherwise it is the same size.

To put SC brakes on a SWB car you are looking at some custom welding and machining to make it work, and you will still need to do something trick for the E-brake. Not worth it IMHO. The stock brakes are plenty good if you get some cooling to them for track work. Why change them? "Cool" factor?

TT
    Argh.... I've been trying to call the outfit that sold me the adaptors but they're closed for the year.... Grr....

Hmm... A spacer? I don't recall a spacer while dismantling the rear brakes. Is it to space out the caliper or pads?

I guess it's was for the cool factor, but I was going to do the brakes on the S anyway, so I figured I'd do the full Monty... The pads and discs were worn and calipers needed rebuilding, so I thought I'd spring the money for a Boxster kit.....

Are the S rear rotors unique? Are they shared with any other Porsche?

It really sucks not to be about to drive the car you decorated for Christmas.... I got some stencils and did snow on the rear and side windows.... Sigh...

Sprint.

Sprint - the spacer is in between the 2 halves of the caliper to allow for the greater thickness of the ventilated disc (rotor) as opposed to the solid version.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Originally posted by andyjboy
    Sprint - the spacer is in between the 2 halves of the caliper to allow for the greater thickness of the ventilated disc (rotor) as opposed to the solid version.
    Hi Andy,

Merry Christmas! I was searching on Pelican Parts BBS and I found it. Thanks for explaining to me too!

Sprint.

Originally posted by SprintStar
    Are the S rear rotors unique? Are they shared with any other Porsche?
    Yes, the '67-68S rear rotors were unique and OEM replacements are very expensive. However, there was an earlier thread here which indicated that the early 944 rear rotor could be easily modified to fit. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds encouraging.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Originally posted by ttweed
    Yes, the '67-68S rear rotors were unique and OEM replacements are very expensive. However, there was an earlier thread here which indicated that the early 944 rear rotor could be easily modified to fit. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds encouraging.

TT
    Hello Tom,

Yes, I recall that thread.

I recently got a brake upgrade kit for the '67S and l seem to have hit a patch of trouble with the rear setup.

Has anyone got the PET? Is the early 944 rotor the same as the SC one? I recall the early 944 (and also 924 Turbos) sharing some brake hardware with the SC. I bought the X-drilled SC rotors and the handbrake hub is too deep for the '67.

Sprint.