Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early MFI air cleaner options

Re: Merry Christmas

Originally posted by tabs52
    The pictures of the various air cleaner configurations looks well so AFTERMARKETISH...but to each his own. I always did like the Aircleaner housing that Porsche used. It wasn't an "emmissions thingy" either that Porsche used the housing. It was so that they could get cold air into the fuel intake system, to increase HP.
    Merry Christmas to you, too. I'm not sure I understand the "cold air into the fuel intake system" part of your statement as there was no intake hose to the outside air (i.e. ram air or scoops). I do know that the air cleaner housing had various caps (long/short horns and elbows, as well as the plain hole) over the air cleaner to alter air velocity and horsepower/torque characteristics, though.

From personal experience, the K&N doesn't do much other than add a new and interesting intake note to the chorus of the howling flat six ... I actually prefer to listen to the stacks at low RPM ... mmmmmm.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Re: Merry Christmas

The pictures of the various air cleaner configurations looks well so AFTERMARKETISH...but to each his own. I always did like the Aircleaner housing that Porsche used. It wasn't an "emmissions thingy" either that Porsche used the housing. It was so that they could get cold air into the fuel intake system, to increase HP.
    Yeah, its definatly a personal preferance thing on the appearance. In fact, I may go with the filters with the rain covers so that they look more traditional.
    I have to disagree with your theory about the air box getting more cold air to the system. Since the air box snorkel and open element filters both get the air from roughly the same area, I dont see how either would be cooler/warmer than the other. As usual, I could be wrong tho
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

The snorkel intake is just below the grill and next to the fan. The fan pulls in the cold air where the snorkel like a vacume cleaner sucks the air in, thus getting a colder shot than the passive aftermarket Air cleaners.
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Hmmmm, that seems a little far fetched to me. that fan draws in an incredible amount of air which is evidenced across the full width of the intake grill, not just the central portion. I dont think that individual air cleaners would lack any cool fresh air. Besides, the snorkel of the air cleaner is offset right next to where one side open element air cleaner would be anyway. Not to be argumentative, but unless you can show me documentation of your theory I am going to belive my own (unproven) theory that the purpos of the airbox was to allow for crankcase evac and superior preheating.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

admin_old
    Cornpanzer,
    The foam filters are from ITG. They have a website (don't have it offhand).

You're right in that the volume of air entering the engine compartment is basically at ambient temperature (maybe a little warmer from air blowing over the engine parts). The only time the intake air would be much warmer is when the engine is idling and intake air volume is low.

It's been a long time since I've had my factory filter housing installed (Webers). There was probably a warm air hose from the heat exchanger although I don't remember.

Sherwood

No one mentioned how to put the cold start fuel lines back into service. How?

I'm no fking expert but

But heres the deal, I went out and took a look at my 69 S Airfilter system. The Snorkel is about 18 inchs long, near the intake end there is a pipe that enters the snorkel at about a 30* angle from below, that acts as a venturi system which means that air is being pushed up the snorkel thorugh the filter and into the box. There is no hose attached to the engine from the pipe that enters the snorkel tube, nor can I see anyplace for one to be attached. Therefore the snorkel system is acting as a ram air system. Whether it is for getting colder or heating the air I can't honestly say? My guess would be to get a shot of colder air, that a passive system like the aftermarkets can't provide.
    Master of the Buffet

Re: I'm no fking expert but

But heres the deal, I went out and took a look at my 69 S Airfilter system. The Snorkel is about 18 inchs long, near the intake end there is a pipe that enters the snorkel at about a 30* angle from below, that acts as a venturi system which means that air is being pushed up the snorkel thorugh the filter and into the box. There is no hose attached to the engine from the pipe that enters the snorkel tube, nor can I see anyplace for one to be attached. Therefore the snorkel system is acting as a ram air system. Whether it is for getting colder or heating the air I can't honestly say? My guess would be to get a shot of colder air, that a passive system like the aftermarkets can't provide.
    That's totally illogical.

Yes, I have to agree with Zeke. Drawing air through that small snorkel is rather restrictive. Besides, if you are talking about a venturie effect, the air flow would speed up considerably through the snorkel and then slow dramatically once reaching the air box itself.
    We will have to agree to disagree on this one Tabs, but I sincerely do appreciate your input.
    Zeke, I have been thinking about the cold start nozzles. I dont see why it would be a problem to drill a small hole in the leading edge of the air cleaner lid and sliding the brass squirter through it. You would ned to clamp it in place on the underside of the lid. I like the idea of revising the circuit so that instead of a timer, the cold start circuit would be controlled by a simple button. This would minimize the risk of fire.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

OK

Granted I'm illogical? Now what is your explanation for the snorkel tube set up, with the 30* pipe coming in from the bottom. I have seen this type of air filter boxes on pre emmisions cars, so it isn't for smog control. Like I said I am a complete moron when it comes to engineering...thats why U have NEVER SEEN me on the Tech Board. I know my limitations, and I don't pretend to be something I'm not.
    Master of the Buffet