Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Early MFI air cleaner options

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Originally posted by Zeke
    One thing that Tabs said, that there is no place for a hose to come from and connect to this tube attached to the 'snorkel' is evident on my car. I've wondered about this. By '72, that I know of, the 'snorkel' is a shorty oriented to the left.

On VWs that I''ve owned, the tube IS connected to a hose that comes off the HEs. Much like the warm air for the MFI thermostat.
    On my '65 (and apparantly on at least all the short wheelbase cars) a paper hose connects the small outlet on the snorkel to an outlet on the car body just ahead of the oil tank. I think it may connect to the heater channel.

I still haven't figured out what would cause this system to deliver warm air at low speeds and cold air at high speeds like the VW system. For that matter, the hose keeps falling off my air cleaner and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Originally posted by andyjboy
    People seem to be overlooking something here - one of the reasons that Porsche used the original 'enclosed' air cleaner/filter assembly was for noise suppression.

Porsche no doubt considered that 'unsilenced' intakes wouldn't be acceptible to many perspective buyers back then (or now).
    I believe Andy is on to something here. Not just customers, but bureaucrats. I recall reading in one ancient Pano or another that Germany has some strict engine noise laws....designed so somebody standing on a sidewalk is exposed to a certain low db level as a car passes. Perhaps some of the European posters could elaborate more. Hmmmm, I wonder how the German laws affect today's high wattage "boom-boom" aftermarket stereos?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Originally posted by pwd72s
    ... I recall reading in one ancient Pano or another that Germany has some strict engine noise laws....
    I think it has actually been Switzerland that has had the toughest noise standards. Swiss standards have contributed to many Porsche designs: the front engine cars which don't have all the noise sources in the tails, as well as the "aerodynamic" trays under under late model engines.