Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RSReplica

RSReplica

I have been watching this site and are very interested in the 73RS Carrera. Since I am new I was wondering if you could give me an idea of what it would cost to build a replica of this car since I can't afford an original.

Thanks
    SW

How much?

Broad question to answer.You will get many opinions.
    You could build a car for $25-35,000, or you could spend $100K.
    It's all in the level of quality. To start with you need a rust free, and crash free donor car,fairly complete. Cost would be $8,500 to 13,500. A strip and paint of that donor car could run from $5,000 for a quicky, to $15,000 to $20,000 for a concours winning job. Engine........$10,000 to $15,000 for a core motor and then a complete rebuild to include the MFI pump and throttle bodies.
    Then wheels, tires,suspension,interior ect.........
    Big $$$ can be spent.
    My suggestion, if you are on a budget, is to my a car someone else has already built and is sick of it and wants to move on.
    Someone else's loss would be your gain. I have seen cars that cost $50 to $75K to build, being sold for $30 to $45K, that are still in the condition that they were built in.
    A clone of any car usually isn't worth half of what the real thing cost. One thing I have learned over the years though, is that a well built clone car will drive just as good, if not better than the real thing. If you are looking for personal satisfaction, and not to impress your friends, find a nice well built clone, and you will get the best bang for the buck!

I agree

Rick,

I think you hit it right on the head on all accounts. I've had my
    REPLICA (I hate the term clone!) for almost 20 years and I think it out performs the real thing. And you don't have to worry too much if something breaks. Just fix it!
    Drive these cars FAST and OFTEN as Porsche intended.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all!

All the best!
    Roger Grago
    R Gruppe #27
    73 RS-T
    70 2.4MFI VW Bus

Roger,
    I don't like the term "Replica".
    What do we do ? We must come up with a new term to describe the continued spirit of what we all try to replicate!

Originally posted by Rick Cabell
    What do we do ? We must come up with a new term to describe the continued spirit of what we all try to replicate!
    My '73 car is not even close enough in its current configuration to be an RS "replica" or "clone", so I just call it a "wannabe".

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

I have always liked "Recreation" Happy Hollidays All.

Best,

Don

FAKES

Another words come to mind...FAKE

As in not real...a knock off. It all implys cheap, not well done. That isn't always the case with reproductions. Sometimes they even exceed the real thing.

But the real thing has an aura about it a magic glow so to speak. Ask 69Sman why he bought the REAL THING and not a replicant.
    One your money is more secure with the real thing, 2 is the drool factor, that a replicant can never achieve. "Oh it's nice, well but you know it isn't the real thing, if it were man I wish I had it."

I don't care what ANYBODY says if you can't afford the Real Deal, buy something along the lines of a 72 or 73 911S and put your money to make it as nice as nice can be. For the above reasons.

You can even mod the motor a bit to make it faster if you want...but really when are you going to really need that extra zip and who are you going to be impressing anyway... the R Buddies? Cause it sure ain't the neighbors, cause they don't know the difference between an early Porsche and a new Porsche and could care less.
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

I had a porsche parade prize winning early car and I got rid of it because I became so obsessed with the thing. It got to be just to much. all everyone could do was look for flaws. The worst thing about the car was that thanks to a certain Porsche Market Update
    Editor the value never really exceeded the cost of the repaint.i would think that owning a real RS might give me the same paronoid feeling. I would like to find or build a nice Replica that looks good and is also set up to perform.
    Thanks

I think Rick nailed it. Buy somebody else's money pit at a discount, and drive the wheels off it!

Sure, it ain't "the real deal" but when you are tossing it around, who cares.

Unless... you just have to go through the process of building from scratch in order to know the car completely, bolt by bolt. There is something to that.

It's all about the journey, so relax and have fun with it.

Jol

Gburner
    Originally posted by Rick Cabell
    Roger,
    I like Sherwood's term "RS bodied".

I am starting to get the I wants for a real one too.
    First I'll need to find the end of this 30 year racing phase.
    My RS bodied car is more track dedicated.
    3 oil coolers, stiff torsions and shocks, close ratio gears and on and on....