Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh's 1967 911S Goes Under The Knife

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar

Josh's 1967 911S Goes Under The Knife

Meet Josh's 911S. Great looking car that has served him well over the years. But like most of these SWB cars, they take a real beating from weather conditions. The goal for this car is to media blast all removable panels. The remaining panels on the chassis I will strip by hand. As a restorer of these great cars, I go to great distances to save the original panels that belong to the car. All metal will be cleaned and treated. Thereafter, any small pin hole like rust holes will be welded and finished. Large rust holes/panels, will be cut and replaced with new metal. In this particular project, a new passenger side floor pan, front wall partition and possibly, the metal package tray. Josh has decide to go with the original color, namely, Polo Red. The finish will be a two-stage painting process. The final clear coat will be buffed to a mirror finish. I have lot's of welding, bondo work, blocking and paint work ahead. I will post some picture as the process comes to a finish. Additionally, I will add some tips regarding welding/metal fabrication/bondo work and paint. Regards, Freddie
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

Cant wait to see the progress!!!
    1997 993 C4S, Not totally stock
    2015 GTI
    1991 E30 M3
    1970 911T, Lilly. Slate Gray 3.2ss PMO etc Sold!
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ect-lilly.html

Early S Register Member #1386

1967s

Please do a single stage paint!!! I hate seeing these cars with base coat/clear coat... causes too much shine and no color depth!! Just looks wrong to me! my .02

Many states including Caifornia have outlawed single stage paints. In fact, effective 07/09 California has mandated 2 stage water based paints. The environment seems to be a more important issue than using original and sometimes inferior single stage paints.

Any good paint shops in Las Vegas? Reno? Assumedly, they do not follow the same rules?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Subscribed

Was the inside surface of the front spoiler and rear quarter bumpers (both of which you have now removed) body colour or black? Thanks.
    Keep the photos coming.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Thanks you for documenting this project! Look forward to see the results. +1 paint.

Sure Lesonal(akzo nobel) dont deliver single stage enviromental approved paint? I just had my car painted with single stage lesonal albert blue, I could check with the painter if you like.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Yes the answer for the enthusiasts that only prefer the original single stage paint would be to find a state that it is still legal to use or alternatively another country that approves it.

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar
    Mike, the color found on the backside was the same as body color. Same color will be applied to the completed finish.

Pastel, I don't dictate the type of paint that goes on the car. I show the different options available and make a recommendation. I will say this, however, that when most people see a well done two-stage paint job, they are quickly sold.
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

I would like to add that also single stage paint can be extremely shiny if finished and polished properly, e.g. Glasurit 22-line is fantastic. E.g. Red (rosso corsa) Ferraris were single stage up until mid-90's. And echoing others, I would definately go for single stage in older car.
    Also at least where I'm from no prob getting single stage paints (non-water based), at least if you paint yourself.
    - Ville -

1967 911 Slate Grey/red, fully restored + 66' "r-ish" hotrod project