Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early Recaro fixed buckets

WOW!!! Nice score Andy!!! Now spill it and break out hearts.....how much did you have to pay to get those "airplane" seats?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

andy,
    you are the king of treasure hunting! i don't know how you do it. i bet you got those for real cheap from someone who didn't know what they were selling. it's a shame they're for the SWB cars. i know a period correct type guy who might be willing to buy them from you .

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

AndyJboy...

I have one of those seats in my 70S. It's the exact one down to the grommets. I believe it IS an early S OR R type Recarro Race seat. When I took my seat apart to have it redone you will see actual part #'s on the foam padding, and on the original fabric which was corduroy. Very cool find. Also, i believe the seats were on made for drivers side. I send over some shots later.

early Recaro seats

Andy,
    The above post is from an early 911 parts book, dated Dec. 1964. The seat illustration is dated "XIII 3/69", and it's listed as "Bucket Seats - Optional". The seats could be ordered in "leatherette" or "leather" with hounds tooth or corduroy fabric centers. The head supports could also be ordered with the same leatherette, leather, hounds tooth, or corduroy fabrics. Instructions state, "when ordering please state color".
    The seat base shown in the illustration (called a "console") is the folding type, a second, non folding type, that was fixed, was not offered in the USA, but was also available. If the head supports were not used, small plastic caps were offered to plug the holes in the top of the seat backs.
    If you have the seat tracks, check inside and look for a small date stamp, I've seen the month and year stamped with ink inside the track, quite hard to see, this may give you a cule as to the date of manufacture.
    Later seats don't have the feet at each corner of the fiberglass shell, just two lateral sides, no grommets, and a cross rib between the vertical head support ribs on the seat back. This may be the style of seat Nick posted without the sewn seams.
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

These ar the parts of the PET that Ernie is referring to

Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Greetings,

I am not sure the dates are correct on thet Recaro site. The Thumbscrew seat could not have been made that early more like 72-75. I have the first and third seat shown and I was under the impression they were 69 or 70 on. It would be great if they were earlier as I have them in my 68. Does anyone know for sure year on the plastic seats shown that came after the "Gromet" seats?

Best,

Don

Originally posted by GeorgeK
    If you go to:
    http://www.recaro.de/deutsch/index_frames.html
    Then click on "unternehmen" and "produktgallerie", there are a few pictures of the seats that were available.
    It is interesteing to note that the "thumbscrew" seat of the RS is shown as built '65 to '69, and the one we call "Safari" is called "Rennsitz".
    Here one off a late 60's race 911S:
    George, would it be possible for you to contact recaro and see if anyone still working there has any real knowledge about these type of seats and if we can get any higher resolution images of the pics that are on there web site. also I ran the name of the third seat through an online translator and it came back as running seat, some how this does not sound correct can you help with with a more correct translation.
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

Sam -

Rennsitz = race seat
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

What is this lever at the back of rail for?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would guess that it's to release the 'tilt' mechanism to allow access to the rear seats.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105