Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early Recaro fixed buckets

Recaro seat console, folding type

This photo is the early type Recaro seat base, later ones have seat belt mounting points attached. This one is the right side (passenger). the lever on the rear corner is to unlock the base and tilt the seat up. The hinge is the same part from the Speedster (356).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

lots of seat time on this one

As confining as it looks, it still fits my 195 lbs 5'8" frame. Though I gotta watch it, if I gain another 10 lbs, it might get a bit too snug. So here is my motivation to keep my weight down.

Cris

It is my beliefe that the seat shown previously with the brass grommets down the back was made up until 1971. After that the design was morphed into the shell that the "Thumbscrew" seat was made from. These were made fixed back as well. The shell with the large side humps was made with grommets early and without grommets later. I image the switch was 1971 as well. The brass grommets were to hold the upholstery clips to the inside of the seats. When they made the switch this changed to the upholstery clips being glassed in. I make perfect repros of these seats. Check out http://www.vintageseats.com

Greetings,

I really do not think the Gromet seat was produced for that long or until 1971. The newer versions without the gromets have appeared in cars shown in Christo magazines as early as 1969. Those factory pictures to me tell when the change occured.

From my research:

Plastic seat with gromet 66-68

Plastic seat without gromet (two versions) 69-71

Plastic seat with adjusting turnbuckle 72-75

Additionally I have an early Recaro with just one brass gromet at the center bottom of the seatback that appears to be from the 60's as well and slightly smaller in size, so there may have been other variations as well.

The Vintage Seats reproductions are beautifully done by the way.

Best,

Don

Thanks for the further info. I have one other detail of interest to add: There were 2 "grommeted" seats. The one shown that came out of the airplane and one prior to this model that is a Recaro fiberglass shell with grommets but with a headrest mounting system like that of the Porsche 356 with the flat bands/cylindrical headrest and a thumbscrew on the top back of the seat to loosen/raise headrest/re-tighten. It would make sense that this was the first of the fiberglass Recaro buckets. Regards, Peter

Vintage Seats

Pete - welcome!!! I wanted to add my .02 cents....I HAVE a pair of Pete's seats in my RS, and they ROCK!!!!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

I'll second what Stacy says. Pete's work is spectacular and his service is second to none. I look for excuses to sit in my RS, just so I can drool over Pete's handiwork!
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

I've owned the original and I've got Pete's Seats in my '73 (whole Hog; driver and passenger!).
    They are the best fitting I've been it, period. They are also appreciably stronger than the originals which due to their nature were not made to last. The fiberglass likes to crack as well as warp/deform with age.

Keep up the great work, Pete.

Regards,

Tom

PS: How's the '53 coming?
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Recaro

This seat has a date on the inside of the seat track.
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry