Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy....opinions welcome

Yeah, I would never remove the "S" spoiler if I had a 72-73 car. However, I will probably put the correct one on my car and see what I think. If I dont like it, I can always put the "S" spoiler back on. Besides, it will be good to have the correct part available just in case I ever have to sell the car (God forbid)
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I think the 16 inch wheels are throwing you a curve with respect to the look of the car. I have no problem with the spoiler but if you're going for the true "R" look that's another story.

I'd opt for some early 6's or use the American Wheels you mention. It's JMHO but the 16's just don't look "right" on an early car.

Good luck emptying your wallet.

Regards,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

just flip a coin...

I appreciate both bumpers...with and without the spoiler. Corn, your car is extremely hot as it is now and will remain just as sweet if you change out the bumper.

If you are comfortable with the "true lightness of being" that comes when you take a non spoilered early car past 85 mph, then tuck the very valuable spoilered bumper away for safe keeping and follow the cars original esthetic that you desire.

Me likes 'em like this. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Sithot, the 16s are definatly going away. I have a pair of deep 6's that are being widened to 7R's and I have a set of Americans that are just waiting on tires.

Shawn, does the spoiler really make that much of a difference in the handling at speeds under 100?
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

lucky bastid....

Dave, it sounds to me like you spend more time in that part of the speedo that I do.

You should drive our roads, you will want the Paris Dakkar Rallye set up.

Just lovin your ride, Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

To be onest with you Shawn, I cant afford any tickets so I have only had the car over 100 maybe twice. Hard to resist sometimes but I cant have my wife ground me from my toys
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Dave, The front spoiler does help at high speeds...but I'd bump the "feel the difference" speed to 100 or so. Just my SOP experience when I switched my old '70 T over to the then "new" S spoiler decades ago. I have a side view pic of my old '69 912 on the wall here. I find myself often staring at it...just the purity of the line as it sits...lowered with a nose down attitude, still running the chrome steel wheels of the era, the skinny trim, and the original bumper. Yeah, it's a neat look! As you've stated, you plan on keeping the steel Splitter, and it is a fairly easy bolt/unbolt...so why not do both? Change as you wish? DO post pics, okay?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Gburner
    Originally posted by Cornpanzer
    the 16s are definatly going away. I have a pair of deep 6's that are being widened to 7R's and I have a set of Americans that are just waiting on tires.
    I don’t have an opinion on either valance, keep them both and change it for a new look occasionally.

Why the 40 year old Magnesium Americans or the custom welded Fuchs?
    Those are controversial rim choices creating unnecessary risks for the sake of appearance.
    The 16s are your stongest rim.

Originally posted by Cornpanzer
    I like to initiate lighthearted conversation on this board.... Its nice to see trivial matters discussed from time to time
    The last time I tried anything trivial I got a "Ban Tabs" Thread for my trouble. It just goes to show you that if you try and say anything intelligent on this Board you get slammed but if you put up trivial drivel everybody applauds you! I guess that says alot for the intellectual capacity of this Boards correspondents. Oh Well I guess it is the fate of intellectually enlightened people to be the ones to have patience with the rest of the less fortunate. But it is so draining to have to explain things over and over again, because they just don't get it!
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Mike, I wont be beating on the car hard anyway, so Im not worried at all about the wheels. I cant imagine my pristine mag Americans experiencing a complete failure from day to day driving. I do plan on keeping the 16s and Toyo rubber just in case I get a wild hair and decide to try an autocross event this summer. The 16s just dont have the look to suit my tastes. I am pleased to have your input tho, Thanks

Tabs. The thing that you fail to understand or accept is its not an issue of you being trivial or technical. Its an issue of you always having to be a jerk no matter how you slice it.
    I note that everwhere you go, you leave a trail of pissed off peope and bad feelings behind you. Have you noticed the common denominator? I am willing to guess that your personal life has been much the same story. Hopefully someday it will dawn on you that its not everyone else in the world that is the idiot.....just the common denominator.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439