Thread: "7" Fuch wheels

"7" Fuch wheels

I just acquired a 67S sunroof, last fall. The car came with Fuchs "6" wide fronts, with 205's, and "7" wide rears, also with 205's. My question is, I hear a lot of talk about RARE 7" wide Fuch's that I believe came on the"R" cars, and also the RS's . How do I tell if the 7" wide Fuch's on my car , are the "R" type or the RS type. Also, how common are these "7" rims, in either version. Thanks for the education;

Peter Aziz in Toronto

It's pretty simple Peter...the offsets are way different. When you view the car from the sides, "R" wheels look the same as the original deep 6's...and the "RS" wheels have a deeper dish look to them. On "R" wheels, the extra inch is added to the inside, on the RS wheels, to the outside. Here's a pic of my '72 running the "RS" type 7" wheels on all four.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Trying to post a 2nd time here, a pic of "R" wheels that Evren rescued from an Istanbul Mechanic's storage room. Wheels like mine are pretty easy to pick up in the aftermarket. "R" wheels are the rare ones.. (edit) my filed pics of Evren's "R" wheels are too big to post here...as a substitute, here's a pic I took back in 1971, of a factory prepped '67 race car, "The silver Weenie"...tho not a great wheel pic, it does show the "R" profile...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Maybe I'am nuts, but my wheels, appear to similar to the early 71 photo you have posted. They do not have the deeper front look of the RS wheel. If I pull one off the car do, you know the rear offset dimension?

Peter

Peter,

The wheel size is normally moulded into the backside of the wheel. Generally will appear as "7 J 15" for 7" wheels or "6 J 15" for 6" and so on. If you take off a wheel it should be easy to see.

And based on the photos above, you can id your wheels.

Mike

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pwd72s

I wish you'd quit showing pictures of that haggard looking green mess.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

If you look on the back of the wheel it will also be date stamped i.e 373 or 577 first munber is month later two are the year.

Anything date stamped after I think 9/73 will be a 74 model 7" which also has slightly larger holes so I was recently informed by Robert Gross

Clyde

Also, "R" wheels may not be stamp or moulded marked on the back...being a sort of "kustom" wheel, even back then, the numbers were written on by hand. 7's like mine will be marked "7JX15"...here's a link to an earlier thread that contains pics of "R" wheels:
    http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/foru...ghlight=wheels

Thanks for,the info fellows; I will pull a rear wheel and have a closer look. My car originally was a European model, and spent it's early years in Germany, before being brought to California. It came with some very nice options; ie; Thru the grills driving lights, with split grills, heated rear window; electric sunroof; Again thanks; I will let you know my findings;

Glad we could help Peter...and if you can, post some pics. Your car sounds like quite a find.