Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Dave !

Thumbs up Thanks Dave !

The TRE New Years Day Rally was GREAT!!!

Lots of people with lots of smiles...

Was soooo glad I could make it this year... before Tuesday night I had my doubts...

The old blue car did just fine, even at it's 6000 rpm 'break-in' max...

Was even keppin up with some of the fast guys...

Thanks again Dave for all your work...

And... Happy New Years Day to all from SoCal

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Second it

Chuck, yep, I second it! Thanks to Dave for organizing a GREAT Day....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Here are a couple pictures of Chuck's rehabilitated monster. I don't know who he's calling quick, since he's about the fastest thing I've ever seen on a public road.

And if you squint at this one, you can see some of the Early cars in action.

Thanks for the pics Jack. Not very pleasant driving in Orygun today. 6-8" of slippery white stuff in my back yard, and this part of Oregon isn't equipped to handle it. Body shop owners should be jumping for joy, along with ski resort operators. Radio news reported that Hoodoo ski bowl got 5" of snow this day...per hour! No P car driving, but I did manage to watch the National College football champs beat Michigan...the Rose Bowl game...
    Chuck? Sounds like the engine rebuild was worth the wait and the Inve$tment. May you enjoy many miles running as one of the tall dawgs!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Originally posted by pwd72s
    I did manage to watch the National College football champs beat Michigan...the Rose Bowl game...
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Talking New Years Run

Happy New Year to All!!!

Chuck,

Happy to see the Blue By You back on the road and glad your feeling better! Sorry Terrie and I didn't get up to make the run with you guys.
    We did have fun though at the the 1st annual New Years Day Orange County run. Chris O Donnell and I had a fun jousting match with a Cobra Coupe replica and a 51BB Ferrari.

All the best!

Roger
    R Gruppe #27

Thumbs up

Nice looking Blue car, but I don’t understand why Chuck has never posted a single picture of his engine-rebuilding project.

Hey… did you know Tabs is going to get his Porsche going again this year? Hehehe... I hope he will post some pictures.

It's all Lies

You can't believe anything that I post under another name. Hello Ian, I was just thinking about you. That I/we havn't heard a squeak outa U for some time? Did you ever find another car that suits your and my tastes? Hope all is well with you, and that you had a good holiday season. Cherrio old man
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Thanks Jack, Paul, and Rog for the nice words...

Sorry Ian for the lack of pics... it's not that I don't have them (got a book full) it's a computer knowledge issue ... every time I successfully post a pic after scanning (I don't have dig cam yet) it's like magic and I'm not sure how I did it... it's not like breathing to me like to some...

However, the project was started May 15th and was fired up the first week in Dec. It was done in my garage at home with the help of a pro Porsche mechanic (I was helping him) on the weekends. My 164,000 mile stock 2.4-S engine was taken to 2.7-RS with a Mahle 9.5 90mm piston set. The throttle bodies were rebuilt to stock 36mm spec, and the MFI pump was RS-cammed and recalibrated. We also switched my S cams for WebCam 120/104 regrinds. The heads were machined for the bigger bore and got a nice 'blend' on the intake side to the stock 36mm with the exhaust left alone. We also switched the stock mag. oil pump for an aluminum 3 liter SC unit. The Trans. got a standard rebuild, and the factory limited slip was also rebuilt back to the standard 40% lock.

We have had some teething problems... as many on this board know, when you start machining into a high mileage magnesium case it's kind-of-a crap shoot... you hope for the best and expect the worst... (I truly wanted to keep my matched number case, but it maybe something for some to consider)
    Well, it seems we have chased all the leaks and the engine is completely dry on the bottom.

At this point the rebuild has about 900 miles heading for it's second valve adjust and oil change... I am trying to keep it to 6000 rpm max until that time (I'm doin better then I thought on that)

It seems that the decisions we've made have been in the right direction... The difference isn't as dramatic as you would think... At least not at first, then you remember how little 'pull' you got below 4000 in 3rd through 5th with the 2.4-S ... then I realized that I was exercising in the hills 1 gear up to keep the rpm down and still coming off the turns with as much or MORE then I had before... that's-the-deal THE TORQUE!!!... and the smooth pull...

So... We still have a-little-this and a-little-that to do... After the second service we want to do a REAL performance tune ... including dialing in the pump a little better, and playing with the ignition (Roger, still haven't tried your 2.7-S distributor)

So... there you have it boys... so-far-so-good ... hope to see you at all future events
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

The answer is no. But I'm determined to find one soon.

My holiday did not go well because last Saturday I underwent an emergency operation due to appendicitis.