Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '68, one year only... or not...

'68, one year only... or not...

Hi

I'm Tim, long time reader and learning a lot every time.
    I bought a 68 SWB 2 years ago in very original state.
    The car has no rust but had a pretty rough life, certainly compared to a lot of cars that i see here.
    The good thing is, because the car was driven so long as a daily, rust etc had no real change.
    Downside is that there are more small dents in the doors than you can poke with your finger in a pack of butter.

The car is still pretty original, a part from painting some chrome parts black to get that newer 72-73 look.

I'm currently restoring the car and I want a driveable original look. (replacing what's broken, new paint, rubbers etc, but not concourse. I had a VW Samba before that was concourse and I couldn't enjoy driving it)
    Now comes the hard part. I'm learning that a 68 has a lot of 68 only features.
    Off course the inside mirror, the doorpanels, stitching on the armrests...

But can the experts or lesser experts on here tell me more?
    I'm looking for a new engine lid, but is that 68 only or will any SWB lid do. Or maybe a 69?
    One of the sunvisor fixings is broken. They are grey-beige... All i find are black ones?

I amready did a search, looked fot literature, but one time it's just so much and the other time I can t find an answer for my question.

Thanks

There are many one year only features on 68 ym cars. Some other features transfer to later years (the engine lid, for one).
    There also is a big difference between US and ROW cars. I do find it interesting that a Porsche that never left it's home country is referred to by it's maker as a "ROW" car.
    68 Coupe sunvisors are "one year only" along with the dash, upper door bolsters, door trim panels/map pockets, just to name a few.

Regards

Jim

Subscribed. I asked a few questions relating to the steering system and the front suspension as i wanted to swap out these parts from a 70 onto my 68 shell. Rather than bombard the board with these boring questions i went through the 70 year parts manual and crosss referenced them against the 68 manual on pelican. It seems there's a whole bunch of stuff that made it's way onto the LWB cars.

So far i have saved a small fortune ! I am now trying to work out if the LWB glass will fit in the 68 window runners and the unique 1 year only 68 frames. ?
    Can somebody post a picture of the 68 only dash pad please.

Thanks

Dave

Dash/Windows

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Subscribed.
    So far i have saved a small fortune ! I am now trying to work out if the LWB glass will fit in the 68 window runners and the unique 1 year only 68 frames. ?

Thanks

Dave
    Windows are interchangeable.
    Dash below
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks John,

Great thread! I'm lucky that the car is pretty complete.
    Can someone tell me the difference between a 67, 68/69 and 70on decklid? I know it has the 5 bars grill. Difference in the sheet metal?

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Subscribed. I asked a few questions relating to the steering system and the front suspension as i wanted to swap out these parts from a 70 onto my 68 shell. Rather than bombard the board with these boring questions i went through the 70 year parts manual and crosss referenced them against the 68 manual on pelican. It seems there's a whole bunch of stuff that made it's way onto the LWB cars.

Thanks

Dave
    Dave

Very little from a 68 transferred to a 69. Just the crossmember and the torsion bar adjusters. Everything else is different and many of the parts are unigue to a 68. If you have a complete suspension from a 70, it will bolt right in your 68 chassis, though.

I have a US 68 and like Jim, I do find it odd that cars made in Germany are referred to as a "ROW" cars. I also did a lot of cross checking on parts and originality. The more you look at part numbers, the more you find that are compatible. There are also some features that are esoteric to the build year. My sun visors and hood lining for example will need changing as they were 'refurbished' by a PO in black. The dash facing is usually different (base at least), door cards, and many other features, some found in this: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...0-1968-details

However, it seems to me that each of the early cars (64-68) have their individual variations. It is an going process of seeking originality where possible. If you have a good core there, it should be achievable.

Name:  L1020591.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  186.9 KB
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Jim,

i was happy with steering column, clamshell, rack, crossmember, gearstick, handbrake, dashboard switches. Just need them SWB koni struts and hubs !

This gives you a lot of photos of a relatively unmolested 68

https://picasaweb.google.com/1059288...eat=directlink
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Hi Merv

Yeah I know, That's my car