Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Holy Grail

The Holy Grail

so is this the beginning of a great friendship, from Pelican

1969 911S Help I need help
    Hi all
    I'm new here ...I own a 1969 911S...... It hasn't run in 5 years...
    But was running when it was put up.....
    It has been in the family from day one.....
    It has 54,000 org. miles
    My father passed away and I inherited the car...
    I have recently received an offer for the car, but I have no idea of the value ......I'm hoping that someone here can help me..Please....
    Thank you for your time,
    Tracy

Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Is the car here in Texas?

Hi Tracy,

Congratulations!

Everyone has there own oppinion...heres mine!

There is not doubt in my mind, the 69S is the single best of the entire 911 Production line. Trust me on this, I have had multiples of every kind of road and race 911 as well as just about every other type of Porsche ever built.

Each one is a compromise to some degree or better. If you like racing and want that feel on the street, you can not beat a 69S.

They are rarer than any of the later 70-73 models and even rarer than the RS 2.7s.

I just picked up my 4th different 69S, like the others before it is a low-option example without sunroof. This one has Sport seats and it has just 24K original miles from new and single family ownership its whole life. Crazy documents from moment one and it is finished in Irish Green.

I probably set a recent record but as I traded to get it, the value depends on what numbers you put on my trade car. The dealer I got it from probably valued it at $75K. I would price it closer to $70K but I took quite a loss on my trade car. In the end, I think we are going to both be happy.

You can buy roached examples with nothing right starting at $15K but they are no bargain at these numbers. Good drivers will run $35K+ Show quality, zero issue cars can go past $45K in a heart beat.

The 69 models are the 1st year of the LWB cars. They run vented disc brakes with alloy calipers and are the last of the 2.0-liter Porsches. Because of Porsches active race programs and the homologation in the FIA's Group 3 Touring Car Class of the 911T and later TR models, the 69S was the first of the 911S models to also recieve homologation status. As such, right out of the box in street trim, weighing in at just 995KG (About 2195lbs) you could take one right off the showroom floor and go racing.

At 995Kgs, the 69S was and remains the lightest production 911 model ever sold in the States.

The later "S" 911s got bigger and higher output engines but gained weight that offset most of the improved torque and horsepower. Also because the cars were now over 2.0-liters, they were now running in both Group 3 and 4 in the FIA endurance races.

Like all early 911s, rust and improper care over the years has killed off a fair number of cars.

Rough estimates show that about 750 or so examples came to North America. Who knows how many are still around today.

The engine is a true jewel. The mag 901/10 engine case is very special and a direct decendent to the 911R / 906 / and 910 race engines. With 9.9:1 compression (highest comression road 911 engine ever), huge intake and exhaust valves and carefully matched intake manifolds and velocity stacks, on paper they make 170bhp at the rear wheels. I have had two built to total original specs and both dynoed out at just over 180bhp at 7000rpm on a rolling dyno.

The MFI like all of the 69 through 73 911S models can be a pain to set up, but once it is, you will never want to drive a car with carbs ever again.

Anyway, I am very happy for you and wishing you thousands of miles of smiles in you new machine.

Cheers,

Bill Noon

And there it is. Thanks, Bill.

Tracy can't post here yet, but he is reading...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by cabrachian
    Is the car here in Texas?
    It is in Virginia.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

wow...

a silver 69 911S sunroof coupe in silver with low miles.

Can I bid at it? Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

If the car is in Virginia, and you are trying to establish a value, I would enjoy taking a look at it. I might also be interested in purchasing the car depending on what is found.

If the car is rust free I promise I'd keep it for a long long time! Not interested in flipping the car...

-Scott
    skaefer@yahoo.com
    -Scott
    1987 911 turbo
    In the past - '71 T, '77 S 3.6, '80 SC, '88 3.6 cab

Isn't chemistry always nano?
    I am in reston virginia and would also be interested in looking at the car with an eye for purchase.

Let me know if I can pop out for a look.

cheers,
    tadd

Trust me, Tadd doesn't want the car, but it doesn't mean he can't look it over for a friend (not me, BTW, I already have my '69S).
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by sithot
    And, for what it's worth if it's been in the family I'd like to see you keep it that way.

Good luck,

Tom
    Well said, Tom
    Jim Richards
    Aubergine 1973 911E Sunroof Coupe w/ 2.7RS MFI
    Early 911S Registry Member #589
    GruppeB #911