Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muffler paint

I have done jetcoat with the VHT grey over it with mostly good results. It will not peel but on stainless it will get some pink on the bends. Have the place that does the jetcoat bake on the VHT as a top coat. Stoddard paint turns pink instantly on the whole thing.

Don

Going to Jet Coat my headers and muffler on my 69S project next week. Saw an RS that had it done and it looked spectacular. I'm told it holds up extremely well over time.

The exhaust on my r rep hot rod thing was hot zinc sprayed then painted with antrhracite paint meant for wood burning stoves , looked perfect for two years before I cut it about again. I think the hot zinc was the key to top coat longevity.

Thumbs up

Going to Jet Coat my headers and muffler on my 69S project next week. Saw an RS that had it done and it looked spectacular. I'm told it holds up extremely well over time.
    Had my exchangers and muffler Jet Coated for the 2003 rebuild .... and they're still do'n great.

When I do get a stain on them, I clean it with acetone and a wire brush..... it holds up REALLY well

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Had my exchangers and muffler Jet Coated for the 2003 rebuild .... and they're still do'n great.

When I do get a stain on them, I clean it with acetone and a wire brush..... it holds up REALLY well

Cheers
    For that matter, my 911's muffler got Jet-Hot ceramic coating back in 1998 or so and it still looks fine.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 01-25-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

For those on the "cheap".

You can use zinc cold galvanizing compound comes in a spray can.
    Inexpensive, a cinch to apply, easily found at most Lowe's or Home Depots, lasts well and just touch it up when you need to.

Name:  zinc.png
Views: 345
Size:  30.2 KB
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

I think the muffler I picked up was hot zinc sprayed and may not have had the level of surface preparation that is needed. Maybe just general porosity of the coating?

Any tips on how to remove the zinc?

-Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Just as another data point.... I used POR 15 Factory Manifold Gray high temp coating on my muffler a couple of years ago. The muffler is a Dansk IIRC and had a gray finish that was turning to powder, but was fairly new with no rust. Cleaned off all the finish and used an abrasive pad to provide a base with some bite, but no media blasting. I applied the coating with a brush so it's not perfectly smooth, and the color is darker than stock. However, I like the contrast with the straps, and it's held up well for the past two years. No discoloration and no adhesion issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    --Richard
    Early 911S Registry #2337