Thread: Some advice for my first car

Smile Some advice for my first car

Happy New Year to all of you.
    I'm looking for some general advice for upgrades on a '68 911 RSR that my son and I bought a couple of weeks ago(couldn't pass up on the price-under $4000).
    Our plans are for street use and some local Porsche club/SCCA events. And of course we are operating on a limited budget as far as $$$ spending is involved.
    1. Should we keep the 2.0 original motor and rebuild and upgrade?
    2. We have the original Sportomatic in it, but have an early 5-speed 901 that came with it. We're thinking converting to the 901 for better performance?
    3. If we do upgrade to a stronger motor, ie. 2.7 or 3.0 will the 901 transmission hold up without problems or should we move to a 915?

Thanks again for any advice. I've taken the last week to read thru the entire BB and have enjoyed the comments and advice.

RE: Tabs...interesting and fun to read, but not ready to pass judgement. He adds color and commentary to the Board.
    Dan S

'68 911 w/RSR kit (my first)
    '69 Nova street rod
    '03 H-D Heritage Springer

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I have to confess that I'm more of an anal-retentive restoration/preservation enthusiast than an R-Gruppenfuhrer. Have you considered looking into what it would cost to get the RSR kit off? That probably would be the move that would add the most value to your car.

The FIRST thing you need to do before making "upgrades" for PCA or SCCA competition is look at the rules and learn and understand what you can and can't do in any specific class.

If you put in a bigger engine, you'll probably go up in classes, and need a bunch of other modifications to stay remotely competitive. If you stay at 2.0 a more stock '68 could do better--assuming the RSR kit doesn't push you out.

You might also want to think about the benefits and risks of adding lots of engine to a short wheelbase car, unless the RSR kit changed your wheelbase.

It pains me to admit it, but dropping in a good used engine is probably cheaper than rebuilding an existing engine.

As far as the 901 transmission goes, a recent Bruce Anderson column recommended Otto's in Venice CA as a source for beefing up the 901.

By the way, what model did your car start life as: In 1968 there was the US-only 911L, the rest-of-world 911S and the 911T (sold in the US as the 911)? Come to think of it, there was also a rest-of-world 911 which was more like the US-only 911L.

Thank You

Graybeard go read my comments on the Pelican Parts OT Board...

If the car you bought is stock? or can be changed back easily? then by all means keep the orginal motor. I definately would keep the motor even if it is on the garage floor, and you went to more potent powerplants.

Put the 901 trans in...Sportos have a tendency to break and are troublesome at best. It's that dam electric switch on the shift stick.

I think on a budget I would rebuild what you have, keep your mods within reason. Accept the fact that the 68 Chasis and motor has limitations.

Otherwise it's a slippery slope... by going to the 2.7 etc and purchasing a 915, your more than likely going to want to screw around with the suspension and brrakes sooner or later...one thing leads to another...which all cost mucho $$$$. Porsches are not cheap cars to mess around with.. Go price a rear tail light lens for a 68 and you will get my meaning.
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Since you bought the car with the RSR look than I will assume that you like it that way which is cool. Having an all original car is kinda a double edge sword anyway.
    The advice above is probably right. You could probably find a used 3.0 motor for cheaper than you could rebuild the 2.0 for. SWB will make it a an interesting animal to drive tho
    You are fortunate to live in the S.D. area because besides the great weather you have a good source of experenced auto crossers like GBurner and TTweed to learn from as well as some great shops. Im sure that they can give you some good direction.
    Welcome to the board and enjoy yur early car.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Dan, I would proceed with the tranny change out. If, when finished with that project, you still have a taste for more, there will be plenty of things to choose from.

For the trans changeover you will need a pressure plate and disc, a pedal cluster with the clutch pedal and new footboard and the shift linkage. The tunnel for the clutch cable is already in the car, but you need a cable. I don't know if the flywheel is the same or not. Also, don't know if the trans mount is the same or not.

But you get the idea. You can find a lot of these parts at Pomona for not too much money. Plan on rebuilding the pedal cluster. This is not a big or expensive project. But you will be into the master cylinder when changing, so this project can lead to others (as they so often do).

You will want to examine and regrease the CV joints when you disconnect them. As I said, when you get done with this change out, you will know whether you want to keep working on the car.

Is your 901 a 5-speed? You will enjoy the car as performance car quite a bit more with the manual trans. One of the guys I hang with has a clean '72 MFI Sporto. When we take his car, it's a great cruiser. He drives like an old woman anyway. When we take my car, he turns white. Big difference between 130 hp in a Sporto to 180 in a 5-speed.

Thanks for the info

From emails with the previous owner, I understand the car was upgraded on the front for solo events, ie. stainless lines, torsion bar, etc.

The RSR upgrade was done professionally and looks very clean so we'll keep it that way, interior is good for original, and has solid Centerlines, 15x8 rear, 14x6 front.

From the ID #, the car was an early build '67, US car
    Vin# 11830165 engine # is 901/17 10584
    Engine cases #217, heads? stamped K1819 8-67

Not sure if these numbers identify it as a early 911S or L
    I think the numbers for the cases mean 2.0, 130 hp???

The CV joints and axles have been replaced recently, but the exhaust is completely gone, and the carbs were ruined when the previous owner decided to rebuild them without any knowledge or help. He handed them to me minus half the pieces.

Is Motormeister in LA a good place to go for Weber setups? I saw a complete set available for around $2000.

Thanks again for the help, my registration for the year is in the mail.
    Dan S

'69 Nova street rod

Gburner
    Dan give Jae Lee a call at Mirage in San Diego.
    1 (858) 581-1101.
    Jae is a good place to start if you are looking for fair prices on parts and sevice.
    Tell'm I sent you.
    Long Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar

Re: Thanks for the info

Originally posted by GraybeardsGhost
    From the ID #, the car was an early build '67, US car
    Vin# 11830165 engine # is 901/17 10584
    Engine cases #217, heads? stamped K1819 8-67

Not sure if these numbers identify it as a early 911S or L
    I think the numbers for the cases mean 2.0, 130 hp???

Is Motormeister in LA a good place to go for Weber setups? I saw a complete set available for around $2000.
    A 901/17 decodes as a 911L (USA) engine with emission control and Sportomatic.

I have never dealt with Motormeister, I don't recall hearing anything good about them. I think I recall hearing Excellence refuses to run their advertising.

A 911L should have come with Webers--why do you need new ones? You can have them overhauled at Eurometrix http://www.eurometrix.ws/ That might run a bit more than Motormeister, but it might be a better approach.

Re: Some advice for my first car

Two fellows I autocross with have "hot rod" 2.7 L engines with 901 trannies (one in a '66 911 and the other in a 914) . They seem to be holding up ok.

As far as upgrade to larger displacement or rebuild, a rebuild of any Porsche engine costs about the same. If you buy a used engine, you may be facing a rebuild in a year or two anyway. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Unless you have a need to keep the 2.0 for racing classification (or whatever), I would consider replacing it with a sorted out 2.7 L so you get more power and less peaky type performance.

Good luck however you decide.

Originally posted by GraybeardsGhost
    Happy New Year to all of you.
    I'm looking for some general advice for upgrades on a '68 911 RSR that my son and I bought a couple of weeks ago(couldn't pass up on the price-under $4000).
    Our plans are for street use and some local Porsche club/SCCA events. And of course we are operating on a limited budget as far as $$$ spending is involved.
    1. Should we keep the 2.0 original motor and rebuild and upgrade?
    2. We have the original Sportomatic in it, but have an early 5-speed 901 that came with it. We're thinking converting to the 901 for better performance?
    3. If we do upgrade to a stronger motor, ie. 2.7 or 3.0 will the 901 transmission hold up without problems or should we move to a 915?

Thanks again for any advice. I've taken the last week to read thru the entire BB and have enjoyed the comments and advice.

RE: Tabs...interesting and fun to read, but not ready to pass judgement. He adds color and commentary to the Board.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

RE: Help with first car

Thanks to all who have replied to my questions. I have learned alot just from reading all the tech stuff and general stuff on the BBS.

Is there a market for a long block 2.0 (case with P&C's still intact) nothing else? And a Sportomatic transmission?

I'll get the 901 5-speed rebuilt and look for a 2.7 or a 3.0.
    Dan S

'69 Nova street rod