Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MFI tune/repair/rebuild sources?

admin_old

MFI tune/repair/rebuild sources?

I thought I'd start compiling a list of reputable repair shops that work on the Bosch MFI system (tune, rebuild, system parts, etc.).

If you have a recommendation, you could post here or send to the Early 911S Registry email (earlysregistry@yahoo.com).

Domestic as well as international sources are welcome. We have members from all over.

Thanks,
    Sherwood
    Early 911S Registry web

Gordon Ledbetter (S Registry and R GRuppe member) currently works at Rothsport in Tualatin, Oregon. IMHO, he's great at tuning MFI. I'm pretty sure he uses Gus for any rebuilding though.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Mark Kinninger at Black Forest in San Diego has built and maintained some very successful MFI motors over the years, up to 3.2 liter displacement, both high butterfly and slide valve configurations.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

When he said slide valve, I think you would have to include Andial. Wow!, what a concept. I don't think even Hilborn had those. Talk about WOT.

Tom? How did anybody in La Jolla get away from the beach? If I'd been raised there, it would have been SCUBA, Surfing, etc...cars wouldn't have been in my thought patterns...
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Originally posted by Zeke
    When he said slide valve, I think you would have to include Andial. Wow!, what a concept. I don't think even Hilborn had those. Talk about WOT.
    For sure, Milt, Andial is at the top of the list, of course. It almost goes without saying. Their longstanding relationship with Porsche Motorsports over the years has given them experience with every iteration of MFI.

Did you listen to Kurt Z.'s SWB red R-Gruppe rocket at Irwindale when we ran there a few month's back? There is no sweeter sound in the entire flat-six world than his 3.5-liter Andial slide valve motor at WOT, IMHO.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Originally posted by pwd72s
    Tom? How did anybody in La Jolla get away from the beach? If I'd been raised there, it would have been SCUBA, Surfing, etc...cars wouldn't have been in my thought patterns...
    Funny you should ask, Paul. I just happen to have written the whole story of how that happened back in about 1999, and it was published in our local PCA region newsletter, the Windblown Witness, and in Phil Van Buskirk's PML at the time. I still have it archived on my website at this link, if you really want to find out.

This Porsche driving thang has seriously cut into my surf time over the last 6 years, as has the inevitable aging process that has eroded my strength and fitness levels far below what they were in my younger years. Oh well, as my old Pappy used to say, "Life's a b!tch, and then you die...."

Just trying to have some fun before I check out,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Good story, Tom. Sad but true, a guy can chase beach bunnies only so many years.

beach bunnies

I can still look at 'em, though, I just haven't been allowed to catch any in about 30 years.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

HOOT! As long as we still have vision, we can appreciate nature's art...