Thread: 911s size wheels and tires???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

911s size wheels and tires???

Ok, I know this may be the most asked questions about early 911's but here it goes again. In a stock 1972 911s, what are the largest front and rear Fuchs wheels and tires you can fit? Can you put 7" rear and 6" front? which looks pretty good? Can you put 7" front and rear with larger tires on the real...a little like the RS?
    I see some nice (R gruppe type) stock fendered cars with deeper dish Fuchs that look pretty good. I just bought a 2.7RS motored Targa S so I need some help. And I want to drive it quick.
    Max

You can run 7's on all four corners. Some people run 205/60 x 15 all the way around. You can also try 215/55 all the way around and/or sometimes 225/50 on the rear. it depends on the tire maker and the other factors such as camber.

Here's a good thread to check out:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ighlight=fuchs
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

I have a, new to me, set of Deep six wheels being refinished that will need some tires soon. Can I use 195/65 or 205/60's on them? Are there clear advantages to either size? I have no plans to take the car to the track or Auto X. Thanks.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Originally posted by fryardds
    I have a, new to me, set of Deep six wheels being refinished that will need some tires soon. Can I use 195/65 or 205/60's on them? Are there clear advantages to either size? I have no plans to take the car to the track or Auto X. Thanks.
    Brian-
    You can use either of those sizes successfully on the 6's. The 205 looks a little bulbous on that narrow a rim and may give up a little crispness on turn-in to the 195, but if you aren't running at the limit, it won't matter, and your tire choices are far better in the 205 size, I think. On my '67S I have run 205/60s on 6" rims and 205/50s on 7" rims, and it doesn't even have the small flares.
    I did roll the fender lips to fit the 7s, though, since they are not the R wheels.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!