Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Spare Tire Question

Stupid Spare Tire Question

I have been on this board for 3 or 4 months now, but it doesn't mean that I have used up all of my stupid newbie questions.

My wrench told me that my car doesn't have a spare tire in it now, but he will make sure that there is one in it before I come to pick it up. Hence the question:

Does the wheel on the spare generally match the wheels that were on the car? Since I have 15" Fuchs on the car, should the spare be a 15" Fuchs also?

Did these cars come with a full sized spare? I heard something someplace that there was an "inflat-a-spare" and bottle of propellant to keep the trunk useable. The indication was that a full sized spare left a large bump in the middle of the trunk.

I am just embarrassed to have to ask a question like this!!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

85 ltr. tank

This is from Christophorus, No. 96, December 1971, p. 44
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

George and Ernie,

Thanks for the information. I will have to find out how large the tank is, but I have a feeling that if my car had the larger tank, it would be shown on the CofA.

But now, at least I know that I am looking for a Fuchs on the spare.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry, if your car was a USA delivery model, the odds are very high that it has the smaller (roughly 16 gallons) tank. If so, a 15X6 flat fuchs fitted with a 195/65 tire will be very close to stock. 185/70 was the original tire size, NLA unless you buy replica XWX's, and they are $$$$.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Originally posted by GeorgeK

This is another option, although I have only ever seen 2 of these, both in RSs:
    George, that is a 5.5" x 14" Fuch on a spacesaver?

Way cool. I've got a single 5.5" x 14" but it's on a regular tire. Where can I find 14" spacesavers?

Sprint.

Interesting. What was the standard spare? I have a steelie spare in a smaller gas tank. What size was the spare if your car came with steel wheels from the factory? (I now have 6x15 fuchs)
    Tim
    1973 T

Originally posted by l33t9eek
    Interesting. What was the standard spare? I have a steelie spare in a smaller gas tank. What size was the spare if your car came with steel wheels from the factory? (I now have 6x15 fuchs)
    The standard T wheel was a 5 1/2 JX15. It was fitted with a 165 HR tire. This is from my technical specification book written for the '72-'73 models. The book didn't give the aspect ratio..I'm guessing 70, perhaps 75?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Sprint,
    Yes, 5.5X14 with space saver. I have only seen 2 of these, this one and the other in a '76 Carrera 2.7 (which was an RS too).
    Hi George. Does the 5.5x14 have a 901 or 911 part number? I'll check mine tomorrow. I would think it's a 901.

And a '76 Carrera RS? How is that possible?

Sprint.

As ever, you learn something new every day on this board.

Thanks, its great.

Sprint, it's a longish story, which I got from my mechanic who worked at the factory at the time.
    Wow... George, that's some history! Thanks for letting me learn something new today!

Sprint.