Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race tire size for a 7" R wheel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Race tire size for a 7" R wheel

Greetings Guys,

I am in the process of buying pure track tires for the 68. I am hoping someone is running a tall race tire. I do not want to go with a 50 series. Any ideas on how big I can go without hitting? The car has no flares or modifications to the lip. I also need a size for the front. It currently rides on 195 65 15s which seem to be as big as I can get on the front. Avon has 185 65s and 205 70s from what I am told. Thanks.

Best,

Don

Don:
    I haven't seen anything that narrow but that doesn't mean it's not out there. Tire Rack has a good supply of Kuhmos and Hoosiers but I didn't note anything you could use. I've been looking as well but for different reasons (and sizes).

Avon makes some great (vintage size) motorcycle race tires and I do have experience with them.

Good luck,

Tom

http://www.avonracing.com/frames.htm

Go to race tyres and then choose "radial" or "cross ply" under the Car Tyres section.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Re: Race tire size for a 7" R wheel

Originally posted by Rennman
    Greetings Guys,

I am in the process of buying pure track tires for the 68. I am hoping someone is running a tall race tire. I do not want to go with a 50 series. Any ideas on how big I can go without hitting? The car has no flares or modifications to the lip. I also need a size for the front. It currently rides on 195 65 15s which seem to be as big as I can get on the front. Avon has 185 65s and 205 70s from what I am told. Thanks.

Best,

Don
    Hello Don,

195/65 15 is the 'correct' size for a 6" Fuch. If you are running a 7" R Fuch, I suggest 205/60 15 as 'correct. 185/65 and 205/70 is one too big and the other too small respectively.

By pure racing tires, you mean slicks? For hot street, you may look for Yokohama ES100 or Bridgestone GIII. I would use Yokohama AVS Intermediate if I could find them here in Singapore. Are they still available in the US?

Sprint.

Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Thanks Sprint, I am looking at a pure race tire not a street tire or performance tire. Unfortunately they seem to be either in a lower profile than I would want or the sizes are too far off all together. I run 195/65 15 Continental Supercontacts on deep six wheels for the street and they look/work perfectly.

Thanks Tom for your help. I will look at those sites.

Best,

Don

Gburner
    One of the stickiest slicks would be a 23x9 cantilever slick, either Goodyear or Hoosier. New $200 each or 80% new for $80 each.
    Here is my 911 with a rear flare and spacers with these tires on 15x7 rims.
    Will they fit on a non-flared car??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey Mike G.,

Got a question...

If I remember, the old Goodyear cantilever slicks were bias not radial and therefore ran much less negative camber... is that still the case???

Thanks,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Gburner
    true on both Chuck.
    Your street camber settings would work best with these.
    1 degree negative is enough I've heard.
    I do have 2.5 degree negative camber front and rear so I tend to wear the inside edges of these slicks first. They still grip great and have helped me with a TTOD and a class win last year.

I like them for the grip and the gearing advantage on short tracks.
    Lower CG too.

Thanks for the quick reply Mike...
    Always nice to know that there's still a few brain cells left...

Missed ya at the breakfast this morning buddy...

BTW... doesn't look like I'm going to have all the break-in miles on the blue car for the second valve adjust/oil change by the track day...

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Re: Race tire size for a 7" R wheel

Originally posted by Rennman
    Greetings Guys,

I am in the process of buying pure track tires for the 68. I am hoping someone is running a tall race tire. I do not want to go with a 50 series. Any ideas on how big I can go without hitting? The car has no flares or modifications to the lip. I also need a size for the front.
    Don-
    I was investigating this exact situation in 1999 when I was considering going vintage racing and dug out this response from an old email to the Dunlop guys:

"Yes. We can offer a Dunlop treaded cross-ply vintage racing tire eg 500L-15 or 550L-15. These are probably taller than what you are presently using, but are loads of fun. They give excellent driver feedback, and drift nicely. They are also exact reproductions of period tires.

Another option: is a newer design tire 195/55R15 or 205/60R15 Dunlop D98J. These are lower profile modern design radials.
    You will probably have to measure clearances on your car and then check out what will fit.

May I suggest you contact our California dealer: Roger Kraus Racing ask for Dunlop expert Bert Mace (510) 582-5031."

Don't know if the info is still current, but it may help you track something down.

TT
    ps- Chuck, about 3/4 degree negative camber max is recommended for the Goodyear (or Hoosier) bias-ply slicks. Like Mike, I run them with too much camber and wear the inside shoulders out first. I try to flip them on the rim once about halfway thru their life to prolong them.
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!