Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soon to be a VG - "E" Progress Report

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Great project. Life is good in a green 911E.

Question-- Why the short shift kit? Why not stock?
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Originally posted by SandyI
    Great project. Life is good in a green 911E.

Question-- Why the short shift kit? Why not stock?
    Sandy:

The short shift kit is not something that I am adding, it was put in by the PO. My understanding is that the early cars had a very long throw to the shift lever. I believe that the short shift kit was something that was available from Porsche to shorten that throw, thereby speeding up shifting, and making it more comfortable. I don't know if it was an add-on at the time, or something they made available later like the Carerra Tensioners.

Someone else is going to have to provide those answers.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

I didn't know Dynamat was OE ... wow, I guess you learn something new every day.

J/K ... looks like it's shaping up to be a beautiful car. Keep the updates coming.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    After driving a variety of early 911's before I purchased mine, I didn't find any great advantage to the short shift kit. In fact, I missed fewer shifts with the longer stock throws.

You might want to compare your experience driving a stock shifting 911 with one equiped with a short shift kit if possible before you commit to keeping the short shift (since it appears you're rebuilding your tranny.)

You may find what I found-- the stock shifter works great and the short shift for daily fun driving isn't really necessary.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Originally posted by Mr9146
    I didn't know Dynamat was OE ... wow, I guess you learn something new every day.
    Ha Ha, You know, there are some things that are worth changing, and some things aren't. It had sport seats from a '84, and had a radio from a '91. Those are gone for replacement of period correct equipment. Now, I understand that Dynomat is great because it reduces the noise significantly. I am sure that it adds a chunk of weight to the car, too. But since I am adding A/C and period Sport Seats, neither of which are light, I guess that the dynomat won't hurt.

Sandy: No, I am not having the tranny rebuilt. It was done by the PO. Mechanically, I am not doing anything to this car, all of the upgrades were already done. The only thing that I am adding mechanically is the oil cooler. Expensive, but I understand well worth it. And, crazy as it sounds, I have never driven one of these, so I don't know the difference in driving between a Short Shifter and a Standard OE shifter. But you are the first one that I have heard that doesn't like it!!

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    We're definitely all crazy on this board but wait-- You've never driven an early 911?! So, I'm dying to know-- How and why did you pick this specific 911E? And there are actually two of us who don't like the short shift kit if you include my mechanic Otto.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

My 911E is the only Porsche I've driven, so you're not alone. I was thinking of a short shift kit, so I read up on them and decided against it. Too many people said the kit just shortens the throw but makes it harder to shift. Better to replace bushings, etc. to improve the quality of the long throw. Some said the only good reasons for a short shift kit are if it will help while racing, or if you put in newer seats that will get in the way. (This is especially likely for 1st gear with a 901 tranny.) Do a search on the Pelican site, and you will find all these discussions.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

Originally posted by ckissick
    Too many people said the kit just shortens the throw but makes it harder to shift. Better to replace bushings, etc. to improve the quality of the long throw.
    The "harder to shift" part of the short throw is simply from more physical effort needed to move the stick due to the shorter lever arm involved. My 911E came with a factory short shift kit on an SC aluminum cased 915, and with all the bushings replaced in the linkage and one of Sherwood's gate shift systems installed, I wouldn't give it up for a G-50. Maybe for a Wevo unit, though....

The 901 shifter and linkage in my '67S is stock and long throw, and it feels absolutely mushy, vague and indirect in comparison.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

confession time...

I have owned five p cars over the last 21 years. Put probably...75,000 miles on them combined. Even driven AX on weekends in the local high school parking lot.

My 67 is the youngest of those.

I have never driven a long wheel base, trans newer than the 901 dogleg 5 spd, MFI, short shift kits, sports seats, or any steering wheels (that were not stock) smaller than 14"

One day I hope to drive one of the new Porsches...when I find the 2.2 liter of my dreams.

Shawn.

edit: I just reread this. It sure makes me sound old. I'm only 38.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Originally posted by SandyI
    You've never driven an early 911?! So, I'm dying to know-- How and why did you pick this specific 911E?
    Sandy:

Here's the short-form of the story. My Lexus SC300 was getting old, and rather than replace it with something newer, I decided to get a classic sports car. I never thought I could afford the Porsche of my dreams - an early Targa - but then I started to look around and found that an early 911 was within reach. On these boards, everyone suggested the "E" as the best city driving car (rather than an "S"). I was looking for a fun in the sun car.

I was told to be patient, look around and eventually I would find the car I wanted. Several weeks later, I found a car out east (I'm in Chicago) and got a reference for someone to do a PPI on the car. The car was a heap. Big time. So I asked the guy to keep his eyes and ears open for me. He told me that he had a 73 E Targa that he was going to start building up, and was I interested?

I checked out the things that had been done on the car by the POs, saw pictures, got leakdown and compression results. Got the CofA, verified numbers matching. We came to agreement on terms and conditions, payments and add-ons, and agreed to the delivery schedule. I then had someone else go out to look at this car, and confirm how he was going to restore it.

Neither I nor the guy doing the PPI have driven the car, but my wrench comes with a great reputation, and he and I are both happy with the arrangement. It's due for delivery the weekend of April 25th.

Regarding the Short Shift Kit. I have read the pros and cons. My car already has it installed. My wrench said that if I don't like it he can take it out. He said 10 minutes and 5 screws. I understand that the most critical thing on clean shifting these cars is the condition of the bushings. If needed, my wrench will replace the bushings before I take delivery. Either way, I think that I should be OK.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC