Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: resto in trunk area

resto in trunk area

Restoring my 71S and am now concentrating on trunk area.Took out gas tank and now in process of getting all the 30 some odd years of crap out of there.Anyone with any helpful hints in preparing this area for paint would be appreciated.Also I am pretty sure this area is supposed to be painted same color as car,but I have seen a few cars where they have painted it a semi gloss black.Comments,observations? Anyway off to Barrett-Jackson ,too bad no early s cars there setting the barometer for the market. Regards to all

The original trunk paint in my car is kind of an "overspray" look...NOT a solid paint like the car's finish. To get an idea, here's a pic I posted on another thread....trust me...this IS how the factory did it...at least in '72.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Overspray is correct. Don't get carried away under the hood. Just clean it up really well like PWD's car. Well, then again, perhaps do a little better job as his car is not all that clean to begin with.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

You know the more we see of pw's car the more we see it just isn't original.

I'm sure that looks like US spec dust in there, not the Porsche factory stuff at all.
    I'll be he's even used non Porsche cleaning materials as well..

I'm constantly amazed at the condition of that beast. Truely a fanastic car.

Back to the question. I use all kinds of wire brushes on drill motors and a braided wire cup brush on an angle grinder. Get in there and knock all everthing loose. I use a small portable sand blaster for the real tight spots. Sometimes I cover the gun with a towel to keep the sand from going everywhere. Can;t see what you are doing, you just point it in there, cover it and wiggle it around and then take a look.

Once the metal is all cleaned up, treat it with Ospho and paint if with POR 15 or something like it. Over that, you can recreate the overspray look, or do the semi gloss back (earlier years).

For what MY did Porsche start spraying under the hood and engine cover in body colour rather than black? Was it 71 or 72?
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Nick,

Good question. This confused me for awhile as well.

Mav - if you are referring to my '73 pics I posted, its wrong. should be body color as mentioned above (for '73 at least). Don't know what year it changed though, as I though earlier cars were black.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

I believe '73 to be the year the engine surrounds and under the car were done in body color, in '72 and earlier, black was the thing...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Originally posted by pwd72s
    I believe '73 to be the year the engine surrounds and under the car were done in body color, in '72 and earlier, black was the thing...
    Yep!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Wow -- I feel so ... modern now.

And to think I used to crave a '72 to get the funky oil door and the 6" change in CG from the new oil tank position.