Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil pressure?

Rule from my shop is '4 (bar) at 4000rpm in 4th at 80' For oil pressure.

I'm lucky in that I need to drive for a couple of miles before the 'dogs can eat'

It oil temp is up to 80 by then and all is well.

Pressure does vary over the rev range even when warm, I'd expect to see less when stationary at idle in neutral (around 1.5 to 2) than at 6000rpm in fifth.....and if you do that quickly then your pressure will 'shoot-up' the scale.

I've always been advised to let the car come to operating temps before using more than 3000ish rpm. That usually lets you drive around in town perfectly without getting to paranoid about wear and yet give the engine an easy time.

Also other than trying race off the lights getting above 3K in town usually sees you over the limit...

Also opinions are divided about letting the engine idle a few minutes before starting off. By the time I have cleared the garage, turned the car and am ready to hit the road the engine will have been running for a 'few' minutes, perhaps three to five but with the car moving.

This seems to get enough heat into the engine to allow smooth driving.

Also I always let the temps come down whilst approaching home, say fo the last couple of miles of a hard run so as to ensure it doesn't suffer too much. It more important on the other car with a turbo to use that time to allow the turbine to spin down before sutting off the oil supply.

HTH.

Originally posted by silver911
    Rule from my shop is '4 (bar) at 4000rpm in 4th at 80' For oil pressure.

I'm lucky in that I need to drive for a couple of miles before the 'dogs can eat'

It oil temp is up to 80 by then and all is well.

Pressure does vary over the rev range even when warm, I'd expect to see less when stationary at idle in neutral (around 1.5 to 2) than at 6000rpm in fifth.....and if you do that quickly then your pressure will 'shoot-up' the scale.

I've always been advised to let the car come to operating temps before using more than 3000ish rpm. That usually lets you drive around in town perfectly without getting to paranoid about wear and yet give the engine an easy time.

Also other than trying race off the lights getting above 3K in town usually sees you over the limit...

Also opinions are divided about letting the engine idle a few minutes before starting off. By the time I have cleared the garage, turned the car and am ready to hit the road the engine will have been running for a 'few' minutes, perhaps three to five but with the car moving.

This seems to get enough heat into the engine to allow smooth driving.

Also I always let the temps come down whilst approaching home, say fo the last couple of miles of a hard run so as to ensure it doesn't suffer too much. It more important on the other car with a turbo to use that time to allow the turbine to spin down before sutting off the oil supply.

HTH.
    thats pretty much how I normally run my car too, unfortunatly temptation got the better of me this time (although the engine did have some heat in it & was around 140degrees)

your pressure / revs 4000 revs / 4bar matches mine too. Think I should do less worrying & more driving
    1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com

Originally posted by pwd72s
    EEEK! Try to keep the revs under 3500 until the temp is around 180, okay? Then if it still shoots to 100 at 4,000? It may be time to change the sending unit.
    the pressure increase is a linear increase from '4'ish at 4000 revs to '10' at 6000revs, not '10' at 4000.

I didn't explain my self very well, sorry

Generally I always do wait until the engine has got some temp (see above)

1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com

Not too easy to see but this '73 Carrera RS guage shows 0 - 10

Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

That's the gauge I have on my French market 72E..

PS., my 'shop' is Autofarm and I trust their knowledge and advice....

Originally posted by nick-moss
    Not too easy to see but this '73 Carrera RS guage shows 0 - 10

Nick:

Perhaps we can start a revolution of sorts converting everyone's gauge to "Druck" pressure. They sure make more sense to me as I had the same thing on my '85 Turbo Look Carrera.

Maybe the next "big" thing, eh?

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111