Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrera RS speedometer

Carrera RS speedometer

Does anyone know what the speedometer on the RS looked like? What the top mph displayed was? How many degrees of seep the needle had? Thx.

Randy,

There were 2 types of speedometers on the RS cars. The first was a 250km/h type, but on Mar. 9, 1973 the range increased to 300km/h. Here is a photo of the later. Note, the 250km/h on the first one was in the same location (same degree of sweep) as the one pictured. This is also a good tool to use when trying to determine the correct production date and of an RS.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Thanks much. Here is the reson I ask -- a "RS speedo" in mph:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWA%3AIT

What do you make of it?

I like the arrangement of the numbers around the dial - easier to read with a small steering wheel. Maybe it was a British model RS? or not an RS at all?

My guess is that this is simply a refinished speedo in mph that is being misrepresented, either intentionally or inadvertantly.

I don't know of any RS speedos that were done in mph.

Brian's answer was spot on. Also note that the '73 speedos had the silver dime-sized disc at the center of the needle. On '74 & '75 Carreras the same disc is black. Good to know.

Rob
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

Unhappy Ooops!

Hey, that's my Speedo on ebay. I took it out of my RS, to replace it with the original KPH that the PO had taken out - hence the RS reference. Now that I think of it, it is obvious that Rob is correct; there would not have been a MPH Speedo for a car never originally imported into the US. I do have the receipt for the purchase of this Speed, by the previous owner. It is from Transend, in Surrey England. It reads:

"New old stock 180MPH speedo-mechanical drive." It cost 200 pounds in 2001.

Oh well, it is what it is, and the reserve is (I think) set fairly. No purposeful misrepresentation meant.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Acually they do exist in MPH as all of the original RS cars delivered into Australia have them. Perhaps it is a 73 S speedo put into the RHD RS, of that I am not sure, but they definately came from the factory with MPH speedos.

Clyde

Rob,
    Good tip about the silver disc in the middle of the dial on the '73 parts. Never noticed that before.

Stacy,
    For curiosity what is the part number and date stamp on your speedo? BTW, I sent you the same question through eBay, my eBay screen name is 'iudds85'. Small world

Clyde,
    Makes sense that the RHD cars would have been delivered with a MPH speedo.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Damn,

We're all learning something new this morning.

And for the record, as all of you already realize, Stacy is NOT the kind of guy who would ever misrepresent something on Ebay.

Good luck on the auction Stacy!

Rob
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

Speedo....

Bryan - I never received the email thru ebay??? I can tell you that there is no stamped part number OR date stamp, as there is on my original KPH speedo. My car was 'born' in 4/73, and all the original parts bear this date stamp, including the speedo etc.

ON THIS speedo, it is simply stamped on the back VDO - made in Germany. Which is probably correct for a NOS replacement part.

I think Clyde's reply pretty much clears things up, and Rob is right, believe me he knows, I wouldn't intentionally mis-represent it.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

your ebay email account keeps bouncing emails back
    1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com