Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1970 S found in a barn

1970 S found in a barn

Well I posted over on pelicanparts.com and they referred me to you guys for extra help. I'll give you guys the cliff notes version. On my last day of work at my last department I found an 911 stashed in a carport. Dirty and nasty as anything I have ever seen, so I stopped and asked about it. Eventually a deal was made and I purchased the car. As stated by the owner the car is a 1970 911 S which was parked in 1989. The VIN off the car is 9110300952. The motor ID # is 911/02. (If you can tell me where to find the motor serial # I'll post it.) So far as I can tell the car is in pretty good shape. The interior looks really good, but there was some nasty felt stuff under the floor mats. There is one bad rust spot across the front trunk area. Other than that it looks pretty solid. It doesn't have the original Fuchs it has cookie cutters. And it doesn't have the MFI at some point that was replaced by Webber carbs. I am going to try and attach a couple of pics so bear with me. The first one is where I found her. The second is what she looked like after her first bath. I'm sure I'll be posting here a ton more for advice and help. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I should also note that I already put new tires on her so I could roll her around better. There is also another bad rust spot on the bottom of the passenger side door.

Also, first question, is there another way besides the inside of the door or the COA to get the original color for the car? I'm just super curious at this point to what the real color was.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Welcome, and NICE FIND!!
    The paint code is on the small metal badge mounted to the front of the driver door jamb - post the numbers and we can tell you the color. If you don't have a badge or COA, you might search for places the resprayer missed that show old color (like under the rear seats/trim), unless it was a fully stripped body respray (unlikely with the rust you describe).

Interesting that it has Italian turn lenses... but if that's a black border I see around them, they wouldn't be original for '70.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Yeah I looked for the badge in the door, no luck. I checked again today to no avail. The owner I bought it from stripped it completly for the repaint. I don't know about under the seats or not. I should be getting the original decklid tomorrow it has blue and green paint on it. The car currently has a fiberglass ducktail on it. When I get the tail I'll post any info I find from it.
    1970 911 S Barnfind/Work in progress
    1976 911 S Ducktailed Targa with a 3.0 (I know...I know...mid year,but I love her too.)

If you can find the color code plate in the door jamb, I can tell you. Looks like the pic below. Like I said from the photos in the other thread on Pelican, it looks like the original paint color, due to your call still having all of its engine compartment decals. You need to get a COA, though; it will tell you how complete your car is.

The engine number is on the fan housing support on the right side of the fan. It is vertical in orientation to the ground at looks like the 2nd picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

kenikh---that plate is gone. I will however get the motor serial # tomorrow and post it. I should have got it today but I forgot.
    1976 911 S Ducktailed Targa with a 3.0 (I know...I know...mid year,but I love her too.)

Can you post a picture of the Alum VIN plate and the stamped VIN in the trunk?

If the windshield post VIN tag is gone then the rivet holes would still be there.

Also, pull the ashtray out. The production number is stamped in the dash metal underneath. We can bounce that against known production numbers
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

South Carolina find? Or does the sign belong to a somebody advertising for a Middle Eastern Cuisine restaurant?

Tom

70SATman---I'll try and get those pics of the VIN stamp later today. The VIN plate in the door is gone, so is the one for the paint code. I'll pull the ashtray and look under there too.

sithot--yeah SC. The car was found just south of Rock Hill.

That's a great find in my books...the kinda find we all dream about whether we'll admit it or not.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330