Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: R Gruppe track day at Willow Springs

R Gruppe track day at Willow Springs

I have 78 minutes of video and 114 pictures that I need to go through (so another post will follow), but the R Gruppe track day today was a great time, with great guys attending, and no incidents to speak of -- and more track time than you could shake a dipstick at. Rob Wolford and Mike Gagen did a great job of organizing things. The weather was perfect. The cars (of course) were amazing.

As I said, I'll post more pictures and some video later. But the short version is there were 21 awesome cars stretching their legs on 'the fastest track in the west.' The fastest of the fast was Jae Lee in his 350-hp widebody early car. Next quickest was Mike Gagen, who has managed in just a few visits to Willow to somehow get his name on the lease (he owns that track). I was third, but I'm going to need to really work on things to get any higher on the podium.

Can't wait. Can't do video on dialup, but I love the pics. Was Mangus there, or is he an RGRuppe member?

Pretty cool that only 21 cars could have that whole place to themselves.

Get to work, so those of us in un-Calif can live vicariously! Hope you brought the broom handle.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Thumbs up I'll ditto that....

Jack is spot on.... It was a great day with a real good group of guys out on the track. Perfect weather too, sunny, and very little, if any breeze for most of the day.

Regretably I was on the wrong end of misfortune and about noon I realized that I had a broken left cam oil line on my 3.2...so I was done for the day. Bright side is there was no engine damage and since I trailer it, I was able to drop it off at Pristine on the way home.

Well, after being at Streets for Sat & Sun and then spending all day today over at Big Willow, I am beat !!! I got a few pic's too and I'll post them soon.

A great RGruppe track day !!!!

Huge Thanks go to Rob & Mikey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

And then there was 8 hours of track time:

Re: R Gruppe track day at Willow Springs

Originally posted by JackOlsen
    Next quickest was Mike Gagen, who has managed in just a few visits to Willow to somehow get his name on the lease (he owns that track).
    Great pics, Jack. Looks like a great day. Wish I could have been there. You are so spot on about Long Mike. What a ringer! I remember when he first showed up at the PCA-SDR events as an eager newbie asking all the instructors for tips, then promptly started kicking all their butts in no time. The guy could drive long before he got a Porsche! Some people are just "naturals" at it.

TT
    ps- glad your mechanical was minor, JR. The time before last at WSIR for me involved a missed shift and a new engine
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!