Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RS in Japan on ebay

Other things I noticed when comparing the photos with the RS book was the rear wiper is missing and the grill has been replaced. The book lists a left retractable antenna, but the photo shows a right side antenna. Wonder if the book is wrong. It does have sport seats and the passenger side convex mirror. Never seen that before. The car was delivered GP White/red, but where is the red? There are no visable decals and the wheels are black. Good news is that the Touring exterior trim seems to be still on the car. Who knows about the rear fog light, there isn't a photo that shows that area.

Whoever wants information should learn Japanese or have an interpreter. Wonder if Frank is on a plane as we speak
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Dash knobs...

the dash knobs over the radio...aren't those from a '72? (Mine, on the RS, are different shape, smaller.) Unless this changed for late production cars, and I'm too lazy to get the book down....

I was wondering where Frank was too...maybe he IS on a plane...

oh, and i just noticed...it's been bid UP $10,000 since we started talking about it here...We should get PAID for this...

Brian - lookin' forward to meeting you on Sunday!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

More clues. The car may have been here at one point as the dash switches have the foam rubber covers used on U.S. 911s. I don't think any other countries used these covers?

Best,

Don

P.S. You guys that are going to Dunkle's please keep your eye out for an 88-89 911 Club Sport for me. There is going to be a Grey car with miles on it. Maybe someone could eyeball it for me as well as look out for any others. Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Rennman
    Well I do not see any undercoating on the frame rail in the engine bay. That is a good sign.
    Good observations Don. I'm curious, what area are you describing? Is it the area lateral to the upper valve covers that is part of the body of the car? I agree about the knobs. Those are the same style as our US '71 Targa. Might have been changed when the dash cover was replaced. Even though the speedo has been updated, the oil pressure gauge and clock appear to be before the running changes were made to those in spring of '73.

Where would the switch be located on a car that has a rear wiper? Thanks.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Boyz........Frank is definatly not on a plane! He buys nice stuff. This car is a textbook "story car" !!

I've already commented offline to others that this car makes my "fraud sensor" just about peg the meter.

Seller provides lousy pics, doesn't know much about the car, alludes to a major repair with no documentation, has a broken english description and an agent representing him. Oh, did I mention he's in Japan???

I've recently read of a number of ebay scams originating in Japan where the seller steals pictures from somebody else's ad and then stages a bogus auction. Not saying that is happening here, but my instincts tell me something quirky is going on.

Will be interesting to follow. Good luck to those brave enough to chase this one!
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

Originally posted by Rick Cabell
    Boyz........Frank is definatly not on a plane! He buys nice stuff. This car is a textbook "story car" !!
    Frank,

Apologies from me for my tongue-in-cheek, offhand remark. I didn't intend to imply in any way that you buy "story" type cars and Rick's rebuke is deserved. In fact, as we have discussed, you have an outstanding collection of low mile original early cars. Again, sorry.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Yes, not just a story, an international mystery.

The claim of the vin coming that way (from the factory) is odd. Why would they do such a half-ass job? Looks very un-German. And the numbers are a different size than normal. Guess it would be easy enough for someone to "fix". Anyone able to look up some history on #0068?

Speakers cut through rear bulkhead??

Terrible pics.
    Why waste one on Sopranos cast members, and no overall view of the car? Does it come with that crate? If so, COOL! Instant garage in the backyard, just add a Stanley opener.

Up to $65K WOW, what was that about a bubble? A year and a half ago, that would have bought a nice no-stories RS!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

I'd rather have my car...one of those "inferior" S models....
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

plane landed on monday

sorry guys i'm not a player for this one just put a deposit on another one so my box is full.i will post later on the other one next week when the deal is finished.no serial #or anthing for now. Was at the ferrari meet at the Beakers Cavallino;great event great weather.now a foot of snow,we must be carzy to put up with this weather